Thread: open source, cross platform, asset management?

Default open source, cross platform, asset management?

Good morning, since insomnia has deemed it fit to grace my life tonight i'm doing some research on asset management tools - something like nAble or MSP that can run cross platform (Linux, MS, OSX), track physical hosts, virtual hosts (running a lot on XenServer), databases (content servers are Linux VMs with MySQL), web services, resource usage, alerting, etc.

There seem to be a lot, and i figure since most people here are in the IT industry there should be some good feedback on some of these. Whats everyone using, whats good, whats bad about it? I'm open to any options really - i've a 2 site network that i intend to mirror for failover so i'm leaning toward an open source solution for licensing reasons since i'd be running two of these, one at each site, or using something external. Since this is for the company, i'm obviously not opposed to having to pay for it so long as it can track my servers and apps, alert me, and give me a good overview of my network's health.

Good friend of the forums

web services, resource usage, alerting, etc.
    http://www.topology.org/comms/netmon.html

Hope it helps

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Cacti & OpenAudIT
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

NTOP also works well
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

hi, as some members have already mentioned very specialized tools, there are tons of open source projects to establish these kind of request.

From my NOC/SOC experience there are some key aspects you have to keep in mind:

1. Do you've enough *unix skills to maintain this open source tools - never forget, all of them are great, but usually needs a lot of customization and therefore several skill sets are required, database know-how, basic scripting, like general *unix, of course security basics to harden the environment (many,many times overlooked in any NOC/SOC environment!!)
    -> THIS applies to commercial software as well, even the typical (appliance) vendor tells you something else!!

If you answer straight away with YES, start looking around here:

1: Network Monitoring Tools

Personal recommendations:

Torrus (Torrus Project)
    Cacti (Cacti: The Complete RRDTool-based Graphing Solution)
    Nagios (Nagios - The Industry Standard in IT Infrastructure Monitoring)
    Ntop (Welcome to ntop.org)
    Argus (ARGUS- Auditing Network Activity)
    OSSIEM (AlienVault - Creators of OSSIM - The OSS Correlation and Security Suite - Products)
    iVIEW (Cyberoam iView : The Intelligent Logging & Reporting Solution)

In combinations, you will beat ANY available commercial tool (most of the commercial tools are coming from open source projects any way)!!

/brtw2003