Thread: Member Rating Idea

Question Member Rating Idea

After looking at the forum posts I can't help but notice the number of really basic rtfm questions that are being asked and transgressions that are being made over and over again.

Would it be possible to add a compulsory questionnaire to a sticky thread or something to ensure a new member has read the rules as well as gauge his/her competency?

Quote Originally Posted by Miland3r View Post
    After looking at the forum posts I can't help but notice the number of really basic rtfm questions that are being asked and transgressions that are being made over and over again.

Would it be possible to add a compulsory questionnaire to a sticky thread or something to ensure a new member has read the rules as well as gauge his/her competency?
    Would be awesome, but we'd still get the same questions anyway.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

And there I was thinking you were gonna suggest that we could give each other "brownie points", sort of like how other forums give each other "thank yous".
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    And there I was thinking you were gonna suggest that we could give each other "brownie points", sort of like how other forums give each other "thank yous".
    sorry to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Miland3r View Post

Yes, i agree. But me and another member had a similar idea before.
    I don't know what are the opinion of mods and admins but i would like to know, since they are the ones who can implement this (and ask help to the rest of us if needed.). And yes, this is an appeal to hear their opinion on this matter.

Developer

Never going to happen. We are a open source community and all may join, no matter how stupid or idiotic. Its unfortunate but its the nature of the open source beast. I have been around here a long time and have seen many people come and go and its been my experience that people who are not cut out for this work do not hang around long. 50% of the folks who come here just wanna crack their neighbors wifi and once the do it they move on.

On a side not though, I do write a question/answer type blog with one of my good friends and I am starting a basic linux series so that I can start to link people to it that need basic linux help. Hopefully I will be able to write enough articles in the next few weeks that will cover most questions.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Never going to happen. We are a open source community and all may join, no matter how stupid or idiotic. Its unfortunate but its the nature of the open source beast.
    I'm not saying anyone should be forbidden to join, I'm just thinking they can be asked basic questions from the rules to ensure they've actually read them.

As for the competency rating it would help us in providing answers on the members level when he/she asks a question. Take the "I want to uninstall backtrack4???" thread as an example.

On a side not though, I do write a question/answer type blog with one of my good friends and I am starting a basic linux series so that I can start to link people to it that need basic linux help. Hopefully I will be able to write enough articles in the next few weeks that will cover most questions.
    Great idea. Let us know if you need any help.

Never going to happen. We are a open source community and all may join, no matter how stupid or idiotic. Its unfortunate but its the nature of the open source beast.
    Understood and agreed. Haven't thought on the subject from that point of view.
    Well, at least we get to laugh at some of the idiotic posts .

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

As pureh@te mentioned the process to join is open to all. On the other hand it is up to each member of the community on how much (or even if) they choose to help. Furthermore it is those members who do help that help make this forum what it is. There are several ( and you know who you are) that report posts to help keep the forum "clean" as well as those who day in and day out post a lot of the same things over and over again. Although it does get boring to look at it does seem to help others out.
    We all know we can't help the stubborn those unwilling to learn. They have to choose to do this. The satisfaction from posting here and helping someone should be (and really is) the only reward. If one gains nothing from this then there is no point. But if you do like helping to solve problems then that itself is the reward.

As mentioned most come and go and I would speculate that it is not so much after they "crack da wep" but rather because they can't, and that's ok with me too.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.