Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa 500mw or 1000mw

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa 500mw or 1000mw

Hello,

I'm trying to find a good usb wifi adapter, and it seems that the 1000mw isn't much more expensive than the 500mw.

Do you recommend the former?

Could you please suggest another one with similar capablities and price.

Are both BackTrack compatible?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoun View Post
    I'm trying to find a good usb wifi adapter, and it seems that the 1000mw isn't much more expensive than the 500mw.
    OMG! Are you crazy?!? With that much power you can get testicle cancer!!

Seriously, have you searched before asking?

The thing is that most modern linux distros (including Backtrack 4) come with regulatory domain checks included in the mac802.11 driver. This means you won't be able to set your transmit power past the regulation limit for your country unless you somehow manage to disable it. Just to let you know, disabling the limit and transmitting with a higher output is in most cases illegal.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    The thing is that most modern linux distros (including Backtrack 4) come with regulatory domain checks included in the mac802.11 driver. This means you won't be able to set your transmit power past the regulation limit for your country unless you somehow manage to disable it. Just to let you know, disabling the limit and transmitting with a higher output is in most cases illegal.
    Concerning legality in the US, check out this page:
    FccRules < SVWUX < SVWUX

From what I have read, 1 watt is legal as long as your antenna doesn't exceed to gain limits set by the FCC. If it does, legally you are supposed to decrease transmitting power.

Keep this in mind though, TX power doesn't mean squat if you can't hear the other station. Being a ham radio operator, I see this all the time. New guy gets a 2M radio that can ouput 65W. Everyone can hear him, but b/c he is using a cheap mobile antenna, he can't hear them. It ends up causing more harm than good.

In other words, don't bother w/ a 1000mw if you don't have an antenna sensitive enough to RX packets from the device you are transmitting to.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
    - Al Capone

Hi, Im using alfa networks AWUS036H 1000mw. It work just well as far as I know. I find it from deutch Ebay

What chipset is it using?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
    - Al Capone

I believe it would be using the same chipset as the 500mW version of AWUS036H, which is Realtek RTL8187L

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    I believe it would be using the same chipset as the 500mW version of AWUS036H, which is Realtek RTL8187L
    I was just curious b/c vendors have a habit of changing chipsets on newer models. Sometimes the newer chipsets don't work "as well" as the others. A perfect example would be the WRT54G.

@Jarmo can you confirm the chipset? (hint run "lsusb")
    - Al Capone

Quote Originally Posted by thepretender84 View Post
    I was just curious b/c vendors have a habit of changing chipsets on newer models. Sometimes the newer chipsets don't work "as well" as the others. A perfect example would be the WRT54G.

@Jarmo can you confirm the chipset? (hint run "lsusb")
    Search for them on ebay, last time i checked every single one of them used the RTL8187L chipset

Yes it use RTL8187L chipset and it canf find networks really well, my laptos wlan adapter tells that our WLAN ap:s "signal strength" is 65, but AWUS036H adapter tells that it is 16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast