Thread: Gnome Support and Upgrades

Just burned his ISO

Default Gnome Support and Upgrades

Could anyone please tell me if its possible to putt in the Gnome desktop enviroment through Synaptic and then to "Upgrade" to 9.04 and 9.10", please.., or as a friend said that its possible but not advisable cause its backtrack and not Ubuntu??
    Personally I thought Backtrack 4 was Ubuntu?
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Thank You in advance..........deeds3353..

Backtrack is based of Ubuntu but that does not make it Ubuntu.

You can install Gnome in BT, but it will break the menu system.

What is your need to upgrade to 9.10? What features does it have that your looking for?

Developer

No- Bt4 is designed to run on kde. The way our package managment is currently set up you must have the KDE packages.

No - You cannot upgrade to 9.04 and 9.10

The menu will also be borked.

Disclaimer -- What I am about to say is unsupported and no one on this forum will help you when it fails.

The best thing you can do is download 9.10 and add the bt4 repos. This may or may not work.

Then you will have to find a way to manually recreate the backtrack menu for gnome. Then you would have to go through each tool and make sure they were all working with the new kernel. There are about 30 I know off that will not work.

The thing to ask your self is what tools do I really use on backtrack and then add those from apt-get or source one by one to your 9.10 or 9.04.

Its been my experience that people who care about having the newest version or care about the desktop really only use one or two things on backtrack like nmap and aircrack-ng.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Its been my experience that people who care about having the newest version or care about the desktop really only use one or two things on backtrack like nmap and aircrack-ng.
    Man I am so down with Liferea feed reader. Not to mention the little dragon icon on the menu.

@OP there is a post in here on adding gnome. I am not sure if it is for Pre-Final or Beta and or if it will do what it is you are looking for.
    Again, there is no support but it was created by a member of the community.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you all for the resonse and advice, I tryed to do it anyway as I was waiting and I've learnt to either look for a post on gnome that was already there, or wait wait as I ruined my install and had to reinstall. But I suppose if you dont try you dont learn.
    Have been and read forum rules and will be more care on what and how i say things in future, sorry if I offended any other members prieviously.
    Thank you all again.
    deeds3353

Developer

Just so you know I am not offended at all. Its a common and perfectly legit question. I prefer Gnome to KDE as well but its not my decision. Kde is what we use. In any case I rarely even start the xserver on backtrack so it makes no difference to me.