Thread: re vmware nw modes setup for 2 physical machines

Default re vmware nw modes setup for 2 physical machines

could someone please clarify what nw mode i should use within vmware for the following scenario

I have my de-ice vm images (and other vulnerable hosts) etc on one physical machine in instances of vmware and i have backtrack vm images on another seperate pysical machine

both machines are on the one network via a wireless router and the vm images are setup in bridged mode

i can find the de-ice host however when i run an nmap scan is says all ports are filtered

the documentation i have looked at seem to be aimed at the vm images all running on the same physical machine can somebody give me the correct nw mode ie host, nat or bridged so that i can pentest the vitual hosts on one physical machine using my backtrack vm images on my other physical machine

please have pity on me with this one im full of flu and not entirely on top form at the moment. so yes in a way im being lazy and asking directly for the answer

Merry christmas and happy new year to all
    Much apprecaited
    My Blog
    http://hackingmidasgold.blogspot.com
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Bridged is correct. Requires an IP on the network, mine are all static for simplicities sake. If you are still getting filtered check the host VM's firewall as it might be intercepting things (unlikely).

By the by you get no pity from me.

*basks in summer warmth*
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

a straight answer was good enough for me

OK when i scan the 192.168.1.100 it says all ports are filtered still in nmap i have turned off the firewalls on physical machines and both vm images are set for bridged any ideas ??
    My Blog
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingMidas View Post
    OK when i scan the 192.168.1.100 it says all ports are filtered still in nmap i have turned off the firewalls on physical machines and both vm images are set for bridged any ideas ??
    Look at what filtered ports mean over at the nmap site. Fyodor has a great book both online and in print that contains a ton of information. Just because it's filtered doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Also mind the edit button on your posts.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Default Problem solved

Turns out it was the config on the router i am using to wirelessly connect between physical machines - tried it on a spare default router and it worked i could see the host and scan ports to determine what was running
    My Blog