Thread: Is there a way to replace KDE with the newest version?

Default Is there a way to replace KDE with the newest version?

Title says it all - i'd like to experiment with kde4+, was wondering if anyone had done it so far, and with what degree of success (what did it break? what advantages other than the streamlined interface are there?).

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    Title says it all - i'd like to experiment with kde4+, was wondering if anyone had done it so far, and with what degree of success (what did it break? what advantages other than the streamlined interface are there?).
    Yes but kde4 is probably not in the repos nor will you get any type of "official support" on it.
    Not mention I have only seen bad things in regards to it and BT4. But you are free to try it out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Got in a bit over my head with that one, seems a lot of stuff depends ont he kde3 components. Hmm, maybe i should just try to get compiz to work. Started using a macbook as a work laptop (lots of macs so its useful), and i'm falling prey to the 'purdy UI' fad. I'm like a caveman staring at a hologram .

BTW, archangel.amael, your location states "behind the wire." Is that a fobbit reference?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    Got in a bit over my head with that one, seems a lot of stuff depends ont he kde3 components. Hmm, maybe i should just try to get compiz to work. Started using a macbook as a work laptop (lots of macs so its useful), and i'm falling prey to the 'purdy UI' fad. I'm like a caveman staring at a hologram .

BTW, archangel.amael, your location states "behind the wire." Is that a fobbit reference?
    Actually it is something that I have not changed since I have been a member here. It also alluded to the fact that I was stationed in Iraq at the time.
    I could care less about the location so I haven't changed it. But since you mentioned it I might change it later on.

As for your kde 4 attempts, I told you. The dev team tried to get it to work.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Where were you stationned, which branch?

As for KDE4, the more i read up the unholy mess, the worse an idea it seems.

Hi, i have KDE 4.1 on my Backtrack 4 Pre, its working fine for usual stuff. I installed it by accident (yes i know how that sounds). From my point if you have some free space and want have some nice looking decorations its ok, but when you want so do some job, switch to default KDE. Also if you use KDM for enviroment switching you wouldnt able to login as root until you change config of KDM to allow root login. I gues its only one way ticket, because if you try to uninstall it can take out important things. If i remember it right all i did was apt-get install kubuntu-desktop or something like that. Just one command.

In my infinite wisdom i tried replacing kde3 with kde4, thus breaking things left and right. things were also borked as a lot of things are stored in /opt/kde3 and i guess kde4 isnt set up to look there. most useful BT things are done out of the shell anyway, the pretty UI is just a creature comfort thing since i spend a good chunk of my time using Leopard or Win7.