Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: basic rules for cyberspace data privacy

hi privacy-concerned fellows....

the 'cloud' my favorite one in the last 3 years, when amazon started their AWS...

what I like with the cloud idea, at one point data will be 'self learning' and with more and more better KI's, yep, we are entering phase-I of the matrix ;-)

No, serious, just ask the most basic question at any customer assessment engagement:
    "Can you provide your critical data flow? Do you know where your data is?"

...think about all this great tasks we can leverage, unlimited Botnets, unlimited SPAM power, unlimited data replication, unlimited IPhone/Android app distribution, distributed IPv6 vul-scans...hmmmm, new fantastic cloudw0rms for all kind of analysis you ever have imagined...

How to fix this issue?
    Definitely NOT with 'Endpoint Protection', break the Human Firewall eq Awareness && watching our 3-letter friends...MY PACKETS belong TO ME

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Actually I remember the issue where wired was talking about this company and their collecting dna. It was about two years ago I believe. I actually had thought about the idea of getting one of their kits. I thought it might be kind of cool to know about those "genetic risk factors" Although I never did ( due to the fear of knowing something). I am glad that I didn't do it now.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Although I never did ( due to the fear of knowing something). I am glad that I didn't do it now.
    But knowing is half the battle.

I'm sure over the next few months as more and more companies move to cloud computing we're going to start seeing articles about breaches, rogue employees, and inaccessible data. You know, all the normal stuff we'd see about any system.

Personally, I prefer to have the hardware in my hands. Hell, I even transport the tapes myself to our offsite storage facility because I don't trust couriers.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I can't explain why, but I cringe every time I hear 'cloud computing'. I believe that in a technical setting the technical terms should be used. 'Cloud computing' is hosting your data off-site. Whether it be your email that you store on Gmail servers or your customer data on Salesforce servers, all we are talking about is server-side (or vendor-side) data storage and computation.

When we use marketing terms like 'cloud computing', it all gets mixed up and people start talking about different things. Many people believe 'cloud computing' is something other than how it is implemented.

I agree, whole-heartedly, that we should be conscious of data we own and that we should take personal responsibility in protecting it.

/rant

BTW, I like the idea of using stormy clouds for the Internet on networking diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    BTW, I like the idea of using stormy clouds for the Internet on networking diagrams.
    If you're going to use it in a presentation to the suits then make sure you label it as "Here be Monsters".
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I think the outages goggle had earlier in the year put the momentum for cloud-anything back a year or 2.
    It is just to easy - "Yes we will get back to you just when someone else fixes their problem....lets put our business on pause till then, hopefully our data will come back."

On other hand... With current economy on a crush and burn trajectory, cloud computing would possibly allow creation of many "disaster recovery" and "computer security" positions. Brave new world (how do I cash in)

Sin-cerely,
    Trol

Quote Originally Posted by webtrol View Post
    I think the outages goggle had earlier in the year put the momentum for cloud-anything back a year or 2.
    This seems oddly appropriate.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

"+25 years" part was awesome! I had to read it twice to make sure I caught the impossible part, I thought it read possible at first.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12