Thread: Comparable router to ALFA AWUS036H

Just burned his ISO

Default Comparable router to ALFA AWUS036H

Hello,

So just to elaborate I have been using a ALFA AWUS036H hooked up to a 24dBi grid antenna RP-SMA of course. So I then run a little USB cable to my computer but I am looking now to use a dd-wrt capable router to do it now so I can re-share it out. I am looking for a dd-wrt compatible router that has RP-SMA with a good wireless chipset in it, dd-wrt will let me change txpower up to 251 mW but want a solid router that will be able to take that and not burn.

Any ideas to get me rolling here guys?

I would personally suggest a custom built router in this case. Only custom made routers allow you the flexibility of whatever you want in it both hardware and software-wise.

It is not only that but also I've seen 1W minipci cards with atheros chipset which can come in handy but you cannot simply replace whatever is built-in to the router (unless it has minipci port) to work. Also some firmwares may or may not support it.

Just burned his ISO

Alright, sounds like that would work but sounds a little expensive to me. I am not going for much just about a 1 mile stretch between two APs. It is just supplying Internet to two other computers so it is not to special of a setup I would need.

Homebuilt routers can be made for very cheap...
    About all you would need would be a old computer (32 bit, as I don't know of any router distros offhand that support 64bit processors) and a suitable and supported set of wired/wireless network cards, as well as a hard drive/compact flash card and IDE to CF adapter/USB flash drive (if your bios supports usb boot).

The rest is simply installing and configuring the distro of your choice. Almost any *nix/BSD distro will do. Almost anything with iptables will do nicely. It would also be a good idea to add some encryption and some firewall rules to the mix as well. Don't quote me on it, but I think that moonwall or dd-wrt would do well. DD-WRT is primarily a router distro, but has the capability to be a firewall as well. Moonwall would be the opposite.
    In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone, somewhere is having fun with a computer on company time. Networks help alleviate that fear.
    -John C. Dvorak

DiggThis-09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jac01 View Post
    The rest is simply installing and configuring the distro of your choice. Almost any *nix/BSD distro will do.
    Smoothwall FTW.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.