Thread: Meterpreter and dir's with multiple words

Just burned his ISO

Default Meterpreter and dir's with multiple words

I exploited my first box (test box running windows xp sp3) and I'm using the meterpreter payload. However, I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting meterpreter to change directories.

The first problem I had was cding into C:\Documents and Settings. Every time I'd try to cd into this directory, I'd get the following message "stdapi_fs_chdir: operation failed: 2". I overcame this by simply cding into "DOCUME~1"

But then I tried cding into cd into C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents. I get the same "operation failed" message. How do I cd into directories with multiple words using meterpreter? I don't have this problem in cmd.exe.

I think meterpreter will not work if the path have spaces unless you enclose the whole path with quotes, like:
    cd "c:\documents and settings" NOT cd c:\documents and settings

even this might not work, give it a try and tell me how it behaved.

to circumvent the whole problem,just use the same concept like what you have done

Code:
    cd C:\Docume~1\[user]\MyDocu~1

YOUR SOLUTION: if the folder name has spaces, remove them, use the first 6 characters, then ~1

god bless the old 8.3 days

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by SherifEldeeb View Post

YOUR SOLUTION: if the folder name has spaces, remove them, use the first 6 characters, then ~1[/COLOR]
    thanks, that worked.

You can also type:

cd "Documents and Settings"

cd "folder"

cd c:

it works fine