Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Scan A Target Behind A Router

Just burned his ISO

i also used to do this type of stuff with my friend. i had searched the net for some way to scan the host behind a nat but found none. but you can do what i did. hack the router then from the routes scan the host easier said than done. but it's possible. it seams that all the people can say here is "what you are doing doesn't sound legal" lol

Quote Originally Posted by kalgecin View Post
    i also used to do this type of stuff with my friend. i had searched the net for some way to scan the host behind a nat but found none. but you can do what i did. hack the router then from the routes scan the host easier said than done. but it's possible. contact me at kalgecin[at]gmail.com for more info. it seams that all the people can say here is "what you are doing doesn't sound legal" lol
    The objective of the forums is to share knowledge...
    It could be illegal, depending on the target. If the target belongs to you it isn't illegal. Unless you violate your ISP's TOS.

Just burned his ISO

I'm guessing that the easiest way to access his computer is a reverse shell, a webpage link, IM link or similar to access his computer, Make him connect to me -- somehow. Netcat or mass client-side attack? I dont think mass client-side attack will get through the router or even nc without port forwading but I dont know for sure. I'm not sure how to get him to install/run nc on his computer, remember that we are not just attacking each others computer but protecting our computer from each other--- to a certain extent that makes the game harder but still possiable.

All of that is really irrelevant And borders on how to exploit a system.
    I'm not looking for answers or a discussion on that.
    All I want to know is if there is a way to scan/access his computer behind a router or an alternative that produces similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by kalgecin View Post
    it seams that all the people can say here is "what you are doing doesn't sound legal" lol
    We can say more, we just don't want to be helping people break the law, for both moral and legal reasons. Is that really such a hard concept for people to grasp?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

it seems like when ppl have no answer they resort to "It sounds illegal."
    I'm sure you know how to perform this so no offense.

I've explained the situation throughly. I haven't asked how to do anything illegal!
    Scanning a computer that I have permission to scan is not illegal. Pinging a specific host/IP to see if it's alive is not illegal either, which is basically what I'm trying to do. Reach a specific host/ip that is behind a router which, btw, I have permission to do. This seems like it would be one of the very first steps in learning how to pentest and security in general.

Now, with that said, if the technique to perform the scan or make the scan work is illegal then that is different but no one has even suggested that what were trying to do is even possible.

I guess now this thread is dead as it will turn into a legal/moral discussion about the laws because it's just simpler for people to say "that's illegal" and have others agree with them because they do not know weather its illegal or not and more importantly have no real valuable input to post with anything other than to agree with "Ya, I dont know how to do that and I dont know the laws surronding the situation but it sure sounds illegal so I'm gonna jump on that band wagon." When in fact it's simply not. I've already expressed my concern with the ISP's TOS.

I'm actually really shocked that legality is a factor in this. If I were asking how to run snort, aircrack, how to own vista with backtrack would you push the legal question? You guy's have video's how to perform some of these process. Where's the moral/legal question fingers pointing on that topic?

Look guy's, I grasp the fact that you dont want to teach people "How to hack" or encourage people to break any laws. Neither of that is happening here.
    Have you guys seen the number of people that have viewed this thread? I'm obviously not the only person looking for an answer for this question. Wouldnt it be just great if it were to be your forum that held the answer to a very important question that set newbies on the right path.

The question still stands: How to scan/access a computer that is behind a router?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Despotic View Post
    I know how to perform this. I can guarantee you that pureh@te and lupin know how to perform this. I am still going to say "It sounds illegal."

But in the interest of helping someone who can at least articulate their post appropriately, it is obvious that your knowledge of basic networking is flawed or incomplete. Look into NAT and PAT (they're both basically the same technology) and how the basic technology operates. Once you have the basics under your belt, you'll look at your question and realise how it sounds to the rest of us.

I highly recommend TCP/IP Illustrated. Now is the time to quit complaining, stop calling peoples skill level into doubt when at least two of them are moderators, and figure stuff out for yourself. I did, and being the lazy bastard I am, if I can do it anyone else sure as hell can.

Good luck.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

The question still stands: How to scan/access a computer that is behind a router?
    People who don't know you or your motives don't wish to be accessories before the fact to a felony. You should respect that, instead what your response has been is "WMPH!" If you're legit, then you'll need to do the research, as Gitsnik said.

Don't think the thread view count means that much. Personally, I've been looking at it expecting exactly this kind of rant.

Let me ask YOU something: If you are legit, why are you that worried about the firewall/router at all? Just install a VPN to your friend's PC and be done with it. There are both hardware and software VPN solutions.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Besides the TOS from your ISP, that you obviously don't care about, no one here wants to help you break into anything. This is not personal about you as an individual (please re-read that), it's just people who've been here awhile see this same sh-t every week by new posters. You maybe completely honest about your intentions, and you may have permission, but the fact of the matter is a majority of new people who come to this sight are up to malicious reasons.

There's nothing wrong with being a noob, but posting basic TCP/IP questions here won't get you very far here. There's plenty of information out there to answer your question, what research have you done?

Also about people making videos, these are done in their own private labs in a controlled environment.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    it is obvious that your knowledge of basic networking is flawed or incomplete.
    Very Incomplete Indeed!

I'm still reading everything I can find about TCP/IP at the suggestion of pureh@te. Any other must know suggestions would be appreciated.

I will eventually find an answer in all this reading, either on my own or with the help of others. I understand that you guys see these types of questions all the time and know where giving such information may lead. I can respect that fully.

The VPN idea is being considered with Hamatchi but we would like the router to be apart of the challenge.
    Thank you guys for all of your input.

The VPN idea is being considered with Hamatchi but we would like the router to be apart of the challenge.
    Do the VPN for the point-to-point. Then you don't have to worry about legality or the TOS. Then pick up a cheap SOHO router and play with that in a lab situation.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast