Thread: Quick question regarding NTFS and FAT32

Just burned his ISO

Default Quick question regarding NTFS and FAT32

I got a virus on my XP computer yestarday,
    so it wouldnt even boot up anymore, not even in safe mode.

currently im running on backtrack 3 on a usb,
    for the past 2 hour i was trying to figure out how to go around the ntfs problem that backtrack has. since im not really a "linux dude" i dont know all the force commands.. so what i decided to do was, use qt parted, make one of my patricine into a FAT32, so i can write on it.

So now i have finished backing up my data on a 50 gig FAT32 partition.

my question is, will I be able to access that Partition on windows XP or windows 7? I am sortof scared about this FAT32 partition taht i made, will it work fine under windows?

and, did I do the right thing for my data backing up? is there a faster way? for all that i just did?

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by EviL123456789 View Post
    I got a virus on my XP computer yestarday,
    so it wouldnt even boot up anymore, not even in safe mode.

currently im running on backtrack 3 on a usb,
    for the past 2 hour i was trying to figure out how to go around the ntfs problem that backtrack has. since im not really a "linux dude" i dont know all the force commands.. so what i decided to do was, use qt parted, make one of my patricine into a FAT32, so i can write on it.

So now i have finished backing up my data on a 50 gig FAT32 partition.

my question is, will I be able to access that Partition on windows XP or windows 7? I am sortof scared about this FAT32 partition taht i made, will it work fine under windows?

and, did I do the right thing for my data backing up? is there a faster way? for all that i just did?
    I don't know of any problem that BackTrack has with NTFS. I used BT3 and use BT4Pre to read/write NTFS all of the time.

XP will be able to access the FAT32 partition. I am certain that windows 7 will too, but I don't have windows 7 yet.

If your windows won't boot, then boot BT, mount the windows partiton, mount the fat32 partition, cp -r /mnt/windows /mnt/fat32 is the easiest way to backup your files.
    Please substitute the proper paths in the cp -r command.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    I don't know of any problem that BackTrack has with NTFS. I used BT3 and use BT4Pre to read/write NTFS all of the time.

XP will be able to access the FAT32 partition. I am certain that windows 7 will too, but I don't have windows 7 yet.

If your windows won't boot, then boot BT, mount the windows partiton, mount the fat32 partition, cp -r /mnt/windows /mnt/fat32 is the easiest way to backup your files.
    Please substitute the proper paths in the cp -r command.

the problem that i was getting was the permissions,
    my ntfs partitions only had dr-x------
    while the new fat32 has almost everything

maybe its because im using an older version of backtrack? or i just dont know the commands for the console... i will try to learn them

can anyone tell me if there is a way to give my other partitions more permission?

Thanks.

how come my reply dont get posted rite away?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EviL123456789 View Post
    how come my reply dont get posted rite away?
    If you would have read the rules you agreed to follow you would know this answer.
    Furthermore use the edit button once you see your posts instead of making multiple consecutive ones.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.