Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Adapter

Just burned his ISO

Question Network Adapter

Greetings backtrack members. I am in the need of some assistance. I just recently installed BT4 to my hard drive with no problems. I then was able to create a new username/password via root login. Everything looks great, love the KDE environment. However, I still have one big problem- no internet. I am currently using a linksys-g usb adapter WUSB54GC. I then followed the networking how-to, opened up konsole and entered the following information

/etc/init.d/networking start

I was told this would fix my problem. Be that as it may, it did not. It seemed to be searching ports, and was unable to find my adapter. Furthermore, from the looks of it my adapter seemed to not want to turn on. Please if you have any suggestions, or need any clarification, I will be glad to assist. I just want this to work, I finally got a reliable computer and am now able to run BT4

Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Network Adapter

You will need to post the output of lspci and ifconfig for more help.
    Your card may be injection/aircrack-ng compatible check
    compatibility_drivers [Aircrack-ng]

As reluctant as I am to assist someone with a NYJets nick, <grin>, there are a couple of ways to get going; give this a try:

go to GUI (startx)

open a command shell

Code:
    /usr/bin/start-network
    You should see: "Starting network connection manager: wicd"

Back to GUI - Pull up "Internet" Tab and select "Wicd Network Manager"

In preferences, make sure your interface is selected

Select the AP you want to use. Make sure the settings are proper, i.e. encryption type and key (Advanced tab).

Poke around... you will get it.

Just burned his ISO

So I took your advice and got Wicd Manager running. However, even after inputing my settings, which I am not entirely sure I did it right, It still did not recognize my adapter. Furthermore, it seems that my adapter will not turn on while BT4 is running, but it will when I run Windows XP home edition SP3. Don't know if that matters or not but...

Don't know if this matters, but will share anyways, it may.....

PHP Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start  

configuring network interfaces
    ...eth1ERROR while getting interface flagsNo such Device
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
    Copyright 2004
    -2008 Internet systems Consortium 
    All rights reserved
    For 
    infoplease visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/ 

It repeats this a few times. Any suggestions? Again my apologies, I am rather new to BT4.

Code:
    /etc/init.d/wicd start
    Then pull up Wicd through the GUI? That worked for me in the beginning.

what does iwconfig show you?

You really do need to do as Archangel asked; provide us the outputs from lspci and ifconfig.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets View Post
    So I took your advice and got Wicd Manager running.
    But not mine.

Don't know if this matters, but will share anyways, it may.....
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start  
    configuring network interfaces...eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such Device
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
    Copyright 2004-2008 Internet systems Consortium 
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
    No at this point it does not matter. First you need to understand what is happening when you run the above command.
    It simply goes to all interfaces that are in the script and configures them to "turn on" and grab an IP address from the DHCP service. Now this is all good except, one if you do not have a dhcp service running then you will probably run into problems.
    If you only have one interface on the machine then there is no need to start all of the others and waste time/resources. If the adapters do not find a IP address then they will sleep for a time and then look again.
    So as I stated before in the first post post the output from the two commands.
    Once we can determine that the adapters are recognized by the kernel then we can move forward.

Just burned his ISO

Hope this Helps

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller
     Hub (rev 04)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL PCI Express Root P
    ort (rev 04)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated
    Graphics Controller (rev 04)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82915G Integrated Graphics Control
    ler (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Ex
    press Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Ex
    press Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US
    B UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US
    B UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US
    B UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US
    B UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) US
    B2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (IC                                                                   H6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE                                                     Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller                                                                (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
    Code:
    root@bt:~# ifconfig
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-24-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added the code tags for readability

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets View Post
    Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
    Code:
    root@bt:~# ifconfig
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

See now we are getting somewhere.
    Also use the code tags it helps. But I fixed this one for you.
    Now then as you note above the only networking adapter mentioned is in red and broadcom has crappy support under linux.
    However yours may be one of the ones that actually works. I would suggest looking over at google for more info.
    As for the ifconfig output you will notice that there is no adapter interface (other than the lo).
    Again I would also suggest you look into whether your version of the usb device you first mentioned is compatible.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-24-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Just burned his ISO

I found the chipset for my adapter. It is Ralink chipset RT2070L. So I downloaded the file and I am having difficulty installing it. Do you have any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast