Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: new posts and foreign languages

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Good friend of the forums
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    outside chicago, il
    Posts
    442

    Default new posts and foreign languages

    Hi,

    I like that BT is reaching out to groups that don't speak English. BT is a great product and should be available to everyone who wants to use it, regardless of their native language. However I don't read/speak a second language. Is there a way when I click on the new posts link I can set it so I only see posts that are in English?

    Thanks,
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

  2. #2
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    Hi,

    I like that BT is reaching out to groups that don't speak English. BT is a great product and should be available to everyone who wants to use it, regardless of their native language. However I don't read/speak a second language. Is there a way when I click on the new posts link I can set it so I only see posts that are in English?

    Thanks,
    Not really. You just have to look at the forum a given post is in, before clicking on it.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Not really. You just have to look at the forum a given post is in, before clicking on it.
    This is the best advice. Even though some thread titles are English or use English terms. They can get a bit tricky.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kidFromBigD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159

    Default

    With all the different language sub-forums here, I personally feel like I'm missing quite a bit of knowledge and learning being exchanged. Increasingly, I'm performing google translations of certain threads that have keywords of things that interest me. Now if G's clunky translation engine would begin making more sense...
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

  5. #5
    Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    599

    Default

    I quite enjoy reading the threads from the other language forums, although not adept in all of them, the German and French I can follow, and with a bit of assistance the Italian..

    I have to say though that the moderation of the other forums would appear to be less strict than here..

  6. #6
    Member godcronos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    103

    Default Re:

    What I've noticed is that they use English titles, but when you read the posting, it's in German. I think that would be a lot easier to separate English postings from the other languages, if they stuck to the German language (or French, Italian or whatever).
    Maybe when they read the rules of the forum, there should be something telling them to stick to their language, just to help the English speaking members out when searching.

  7. #7
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidFromBigD View Post
    With all the different language sub-forums here, I personally feel like I'm missing quite a bit of knowledge and learning being exchanged. Increasingly, I'm performing google translations of certain threads that have keywords of things that interest me. Now if G's clunky translation engine would begin making more sense...
    The translation it fine, it's the grammatical differences between languages that trip it up.

  8. #8
    Senior Member MikeCa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The translation it fine, it's the grammatical differences between languages that trip it up.
    Translation will fail because of a lack of grammar, that is, if the non-English forums are at all like the English forums.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •