Thread: Serious problems with install of Backtrack4-final

Just burned his ISO

Default Serious problems with install of Backtrack4-final

Hey Folks.

I've got a serious Problem to install Backtrack4 on my Notebook.

Now I am using again Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala on this machine with Grub 1.97 /w an ext4 partition.

First thing: I have to boot severel times the Live CD until i can access Backtrack. Often I've got only the boot screen after select wich options i like to use.

Second thing: After i gained access to Backtrack and have loaded the KDE with startx i can run the install.sh
    When the things starts like parted , the list of partitions in parted is empty.
    After several reboots i have all partioions in parted.

Third thing: After i have selected the last Next / finish, the installer run correctly until 90%! I don't know why but it terminates and makes an restart without any anounce! Grub is destroyed, cant access anything.
    Only way to get Back my System is to install Ubuntu again.

I hope anyone can help me...

Thanks a lot

Matze

P.S: Sorry for my bad english

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Serious problems with install of Backtrack4-final

Quote Originally Posted by erazzor View Post
    Hey Folks.
    First thing: I have to boot severel times the Live CD until i can access Backtrack. Often I've got only the boot screen after select wich options i like to use.
    What hardware ? Most computers have a way to select a one time boot option or you could specify in the bios to boot cd before hdd always.

Second thing: After i gained access to Backtrack and have loaded the KDE with startx i can run the install.sh
    When the things starts like parted , the list of partitions in parted is empty.
    After several reboots i have all partioions in parted.
    Grub 1.97 shipping with ubuntu 9.10 is a bit different from older grub legacy as they now call it. YOu will want to do manual install and setup your own grub partitioning/booting arrangement. I have not done this with backtrack final but I did upgrade my netbook to ubuntu 9.10 and ran into similar issues. I had to do my own config to get grub 1.97 to recognize my windows xp, my ubuntu 9.10 and my backtrack, and a few other partitions as well.

Third thing: After i have selected the last Next / finish, the installer run correctly until 90%! I don't know why but it terminates and makes an restart without any anounce! Grub is destroyed, cant access anything.
    Only way to get Back my System is to install Ubuntu again.
    Manual install will circumvent these types of problems and you might learn a thing or two as well. :-)0

Cheers mate, post progress and hopefully I can help more or something else can!

Just burned his ISO

hey man!

Try reinstalling an iso file on a new cd.

or boot backtrack from a usb flash drive

let me know :=)

for any more questions, just ask

capon

Do it display errors during boot ?

Maybe you can try booting it without disk too see if this is the problem.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 01-19-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Sry i forget that.....

I have get an error ... but only if he could load the Backtrack Start shell and identify the harddrive!

the problem was that backtrack cant mount my sda1 cause it has not recogized options ( cause it wants to mount if as a ext3 fs and sda1 is formated as ext4)

If you can boot up from bt4 liveCD you can fix grub entries using the console and a few commands. It's not that hard. If you use the manual installation tutorial and get to know grub a little better you'll manage to get your ubuntu back. Unless you installed bt4 on ubuntu partition.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    If you can boot up from bt4 liveCD you can fix grub entries using the console and a few commands. It's not that hard. If you use the manual installation tutorial and get to know grub a little better you'll manage to get your ubuntu back. Unless you installed bt4 on ubuntu partition.
    Okay no problem....
    i dont know how many time do you have worked with ubuntu 9.10 but ...
    with its default install it use grub 2 instead of grub legacy.

My feeling says something like that it want to update grub2 with grub commands and kill it

Okay guys....

First at All ---- My Hardware ----

Acer Aspire 5530G
    AMD Turion x2 Ultra (Zm-82)
    Ati Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    320GB Hardisk
    - sda1 Linux ext4 21GB
    - sda2 Win7 NTFS 120GB
    - sda3 DATA NTFS 160GB
    - sda4 Embbed Windows XP 10 GB
    - 10 GB unallocated cause no primary partition is left

I have made both... the install from usb ( usb make with Unetbootin) and form DVD. I have downloaded diffrent isos and verifyed it with the md5sum.

Unforantly the Setup freezes....
    I think somthing goes wrong when backtrack wants to detect the hardware...
    And i have recognized when backtrack boots and detectig the modules , that it can't activate the acer-wmi.... could it do somthing with this?

Or the kernel is too old... .

I have tried to Install Ubunut, with ext3 , then replaced the grub2 by grub legacy and
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 01-19-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Just burned his ISO

What devices are attached to the system, internally and externally? I know I had a Cisco Aironet wifi card that would prevent my computer from being able to boot/install correctly. Once removed I had no problems.

Just burned his ISO

Okay guys ... i have localized the problem ...
    It's the temperature.....The Backtrack kernel dont have the right modules for my Turion X2 Ultra Processor...

Governor isn't load at boot because no Kernelmodule für CPU frequency Policy is found ....

So the Prozessor run at maximum speed and end by 93°C .... after that it freezes , take down the voltage from the processor and go off after the temperature is below 90°C.

Could any one tell me now how i can find and add the Right Kernelmodule to let start governor??

Best Regards