Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Character pass

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Do you only want 10 character passwords or do you want all passwords up to and including 10 characters? (e.g. 1 letter passwords, 2 letter passwords ... 9 letter passwords, 10 letter passwords). Doesn't really matter actually, because creating either list is infeasible.

Assuming the smaller of the two lists containing only 10 character passwords using a-z, A-Z, 0-9, we have 62 to the power of 10 entries (839299365868340224). Assuming an ASCII character set, at 11 bytes for each password (ten bytes for the password and one for the end of line character) you would need 9,232,293,024,551,742,464 bytes or 8,598,242,909.23 gigabytes of storage to store the list.

Hopefully the math convinces you that trying to create a complete 10 character password list is a bad idea.
    Lmao @ math, but uh... isn't there another way BESIDES brute forcing?

Quote Originally Posted by xPhantom View Post
    Lmao @ math, but uh... isn't there another way BESIDES brute forcing?
    Sure, there are plenty.

Shoulder surfing. Looking for PostIts (under the keyboard; on the monitor; on the bulletin board. in the top desk drawer. ...) Local exploits. Remote exploits. Network packet grabs. Social Engineering (posing as a repairman; posing as a deliveryman; pretexting as a helpdesk employee; pretexting as someone from the "home office"; playing "hide the salami" with the target's secretary*. ...) Dumpster diving. Escalating privileges.

The list goes on and on. It depends on who you dealing with, what the scope of the contract covers.

*Yes, I know someone who's gone that far.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Looking for PostIts ( in the top desk drawer. ...)
    You mean other people know about my hiding spot.
    Man now I need to come up with a new place.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    You mean other people know about my hiding spot.
    Man now I need to come up with a new place.
    You and me both!

I have a folder of snapshots taken with my phone, of the places users put PostIts with passwords. The directory name is "Stupid User Tricks". I think my favorite is the domain admin name and password up on a bulletin board.
    Thorn

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

You and me both!

I have a folder of snapshots taken with my phone, of the places users put PostIts with passwords. The directory name is "Stupid User Tricks". I think my favorite is the domain admin name and password up on a bulletin board.
    That's a perfectly cromulent method of hiding the password. It's hiding it in plain site and no one would ever think that it could possibly be real.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

You and me both!

Last year our IT guys got into trouble during an audit, where they had an actual notebook (journal) with all of the passwords for every computer and cell phone on site! I mean the idea made sense, since my laptop/ cell phone are not my property and are subject to searches at anytime, they kept the passwords along with the device's asset number and the user together in a nice neat little book. But I guess now they have to keep it in a safe instead of on a shelf like it used to be.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Last year our IT guys got into trouble during an audit, where they had an actual notebook (journal) with all of the passwords for every computer and cell phone on site! I mean the idea made sense, since my laptop/ cell phone are not my property and are subject to searches at anytime, they kept the passwords along with the device's asset number and the user together in a nice neat little book. But I guess now they have to keep it in a safe instead of on a shelf like it used to be.
    Yeah, keeping something like that in a safe is a good idea. On a shelf? Not so much.
    Thorn

Yeah, keeping something like that in a safe is a good idea. On a shelf? Not so much.
    It's ok to put it on a shelf, just as long as you don't have it labeled.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

playing "hide the salami" with the target's secretary*. ...)
    *Yes, I know someone who's gone that far.
    Almost spewed coffee reading that; thanks!
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Quote Originally Posted by kidFromBigD View Post
    Almost spewed coffee reading that; thanks!
    The best part is, you thought it was a euphemism for sex. He was serious, they really were hiding salamis around the office. The secretary was just a little odd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12