I'm running BT4 on VMware. After realizing that networking doesn't start up at startup, I spent the last 3 days or so figuring out how to start it (it took me so long because I didn't realize I had to be in root). I finally got a connection by logging into root and using the following commands I found on the offensive-security demo videos:

Code:
ifconfig eth0 [ip]
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/res
echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
But, I have a couple of simple questions.

1. I found a guide for BT2 and it said to open Wireless Assistant to connect to the network. However, I can't find wireless assistant in the start menu. is this because BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, or am I just blind? if BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, then what's its equivalent? wicd Network Manager? How come when I try to open it via the GUI, noththing happens - no window opens.

2. I'm connected to my WPA-protected wireless network. How come I never had to type the WPA key? Is that just because I'm running on VMware and my wireless adapater already knows the key?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I just want to make sure I don't have any misconceptions of how BT4 operates before I go deeper into it.