Thread: Wireless Assistant only in BT2?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless Assistant only in BT2?

I'm running BT4 on VMware. After realizing that networking doesn't start up at startup, I spent the last 3 days or so figuring out how to start it (it took me so long because I didn't realize I had to be in root). I finally got a connection by logging into root and using the following commands I found on the offensive-security demo videos:

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 [ip]
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/res
    echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
    But, I have a couple of simple questions.

1. I found a guide for BT2 and it said to open Wireless Assistant to connect to the network. However, I can't find wireless assistant in the start menu. is this because BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, or am I just blind? if BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, then what's its equivalent? wicd Network Manager? How come when I try to open it via the GUI, noththing happens - no window opens.

2. I'm connected to my WPA-protected wireless network. How come I never had to type the WPA key? Is that just because I'm running on VMware and my wireless adapater already knows the key?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I just want to make sure I don't have any misconceptions of how BT4 operates before I go deeper into it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

The BT4 How-To and Tutorial section is not for your questions, post in the correct one next time.
    Furthermore BT2 is slax/slackware bt4 is ubuntu.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LightningRod View Post
    I finally got a connection by logging into root and using the following commands I found on the offensive-security demo videos
    There's no need to edit "/etc/res" as you did. For a full step-by-step guide on how to do this stuff at the command line, try Linux Internet Connection - Virjacode

You have the choice of using a GUI though... read on. . .

if BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, then what's its equivalent? wicd Network Manager? How come when I try to open it via the GUI, noththing happens - no window opens.
    This is by design. It's intentional. If you want to use Wicd then you need to run the following command beforehand:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    2. I'm connected to my WPA-protected wireless network. How come I never had to type the WPA key? Is that just because I'm running on VMware and my wireless adapater already knows the key?
    Sounds spooky. I've never used VMware and I never have any intention to so unfortunately I can't help you there. Does sound creep though.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post

This is by design. It's intentional. If you want to use Wicd then you need to run the following command beforehand:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    yeah, I did that, but I got a line that said "No such file or directory" There must be something really simple that I'm missing here. It's no big deal, since I already have a connection to the internet, but I just want to develop a firm understanding of this stuff.

yeah, I did that, but I got a line that said "No such file or directory" There must be something really simple that I'm missing here. It's no big deal, since I already have a connection to the internet, but I just want to develop a firm understanding of this stuff.
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/wicd start
    and to make wicd start with bt:

Code:
    update-rc.d wicd defaults
    where "wicd" can be replaced by any program you want to start with bt.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Thanks to Virchanza for pointing this part out, but any way. Yes it has to do with connecting to the AP through Vmware. Since VMware handles all traffic destined to the guest and or from the guest. So since your host has connection privileges, then all applications can normally take advantage of this. Generally the only thing that would prevent or hinder this would be a firewall.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

1. I found a guide for BT2 and it said to open Wireless Assistant to connect to the network. However, I can't find wireless assistant in the start menu. is this because BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, or am I just blind? if BT4 doesn't have wireless assistant, then what's its equivalent? wicd Network Manager? How come when I try to open it via the GUI, noththing happens - no window opens.
    Wicd is the network manager on bt4. It wont open because you first have to open a shell and type:

Code:
    wicd
    Then try and open it from the start menu.

EDIT: You should prob. stick to using the command line to establish a network connection though. You know, just for good practice.
    "Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." -Surangama Sutra