Thread: Aircrack can't take dictionary from stdin?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Aircrack can't take dictionary from stdin?

Maybe a year ago I posted here about how I had added a dictionary generator to Aircrack. Since then I've had two people e-mail me asking me for the code for it...

I was thinking why would they be interested in it when they can just pipe the output of crunch into aircrack-ng?

But then I did: aircrack-ng --help

And it seems as though Aircrack doesn't have an option for reading from stdin. Is this really the case?

It wouldn't take more than half an hour to alter Aircrack so that it can read from stdin. If this is a sought-after feature then I'll alter the code myself.

By the way what program do people normally use for cracking WPA?
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

It may well be undocumented and/or removed (and you know, I may well be wrong), but how does:
    Code:
    echo mywpapassword | aircrack-ng -w - -e devnetwork /tmp/captures.cap
    work for you.

The extra dash is fairly common for "read file from stdin"
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Developer

It does read words from stdin, it does no read hash's from stdin which would be extremely useful. Edgan wrote a patch to make it work but it wasnt the best. If you want to add a function to aircrack-ng that would be the one to do.

I tried it out just there using a hyphen instead of a filename, couldn't get it to work. It doesn't seem to recognise the hypen as a means to read from stdin.

But check this out:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/pro...ead-stdin.html

EDIT: I just saw your post now pureh@te. I'll have a look at making it work with all characters including the hash symbol
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    It doesn't seem to recognise the hypen as a means to read from stdin.
    I'd be looking into that before I went and looked at the C libraries if I were you - it's meant to work that way just fine and does on every system I've ever compiled aircrack on - the lack of working for you makes me think there's something else going on.

Either way, after you have breakfast have a go at it and let us know
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    I'd be looking into that before I went and looked at the C libraries if I were you - it's meant to work that way just fine and does on every system I've ever compiled aircrack on
    OK cool I got it to work just there as follows:

Code:
    /pentest/passwords/crunch/crunch 8 8 | aircrack-ng -e test -w - /pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/test/wpa.cap
    The funny thing is though, you need to specify "-e test" when you're reading from stdin, but normally you don't need though.

Still though I'm gonna play around with editing the C standard library. I like small dirty projects. . .