Thread: cant access my wordlist

Just burned his ISO

Default cant access my wordlist

Sorry to post again but on reading my past post i dont think i really understand what im trying to do! So i thought i try again after not spending 5 hours looking at other posts on the issue and ending brain up brain overloaded Ive done the wep and wpa handshake on my network so far with no problem i think im looking to hard now at this easy problem and cant see the wood through the trees as to say.

I keep getting the (no such file or directory)
    On my desktop i have a notebook file .txt? it called names.txt i want run it in aircrack-ng in BT3 so im trying open a konsole and typeing aircrack-ng wpa-o1.cap -w /desktop/wap.txt what am i doing so noobb wrong ive read loads stuff on accessing from a USB but not desktop can it be done?

Developer

aircrack-ng wpa-o1.cap -w /desktop/wap.txt is where you are messing up

Its Desktop first of alll and you need to either specify the complete path which would be /root/Desktop/wpa.txt or you can use the ~ symbol which signifies the users home directory which you are running under which in backtracks case is root. so -w ~/Desktop/wpa.txt

Obviously you need to change wpa.txt with whatever the file name is.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you pure h@te for replying
    i have tried what you have said and this is why im so baffled as it dont work i tried this before!

Ok im running vmplayer unbantu and running BT3 in a iso of a cd is this why it isnt working? I download you h@telist it great by looks of it top draw it on my desktop extracted. so im typeing in konsole
    aircrack-ng wpa-01.cap -w /root/Desktop/hatelist.txt =fopen (dictionary) failed: no such file or directory

aircrack-ng wpa-01.cap -w ~/Desktop/hatelist.txt

Is my copy of BT3 broken?

Like I said before, you should really learn some basic Linux before you try to use BackTrack. Finding the location of files within the filesystem and transferring files to your Linux system are two very basic things you need to get to grips with before you try anything "fancy" like cracking WPA.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Developer

Wait a sec, you have the list on the desktop of your ubuntu machine while running bt in vmware? Thats not going to work.

Just burned his ISO

thanx for repling prureh@te!This is why im bit confused here i have 4 things going on andnot sure whitch is causeing the issue here!i have xp running with your magic list on the desktop, i load VMplayer then ubuntu and BT3 was on a cd but now i think it had nmade a partion on C: so always loadable from C: Do i need to load it from a drive like D: and burn it to a iso on a cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    thanx for repling prureh@te!This is why im bit confused here i have 4 things going on andnot sure whitch is causeing the issue here!i have xp running with your magic list on the desktop, i load VMplayer then ubuntu and BT3 was on a cd but now i think it had nmade a partion on C: so always loadable from C: Do i need to load it from a drive like D: and burn it to a iso on a cd?
    The password list needs to be accessible to the BT3 path. That means NOT on the XP desktop.

Lupin is correct. You really need to understand BASIC Linux, including file systems and paths.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Ok after few more sessions or googleing what i can figure is to load into linux it got be an extrenal source only eg a usb or a mounted external drive, i cant figure out loading into from a cd being iso or what not yet. so im thinking i got to get a usb stick and transfer the files to it as there seems to alot of info on running from a usb but lite on the ground about running from a cd.Running Vmplayer wont give me the option to shared folders maybe the Vm workstation will?am i getting there u think? Or totally going wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    ... <A bunch of things that show the poster doesn't understand Linux> ...

i getting there u think? ...
    To put it bluntly, "NO!"

What part of "you really need to understand BASIC Linux" didn't you get?

BT is an advanced distro for specialized users. There are plenty of sites out there that will spoon feed you beginner lessons, but this isn't one of them. No one is going to handhold you through the prerequisite knowledge that has taken years to learn. You need to go learn the basics, and then come back to BT.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.