Thread: Apt-get not working

Just burned his ISO

Default Apt-get not working

After having some issues getting triple booting to work, I have it all up and running. I have my laptop wired to my router, and can access the internet. When I try and update via apt-get update, it tries to connect to the archives, but doesn't get past connecting, and doesn't update. One of the errors is failed to fetch xx could not connect to archive, connection timed out(paraphrased).

The kicker is the last line says "W: You many want to run apt-get updated to correct these problems". I tried to ping it on my other machine but it couldn't connect either.

So either it's my isp blocking it, which to my knowledge they don't, but you can never be sure. Or there is an issue with the archive server, or a problem with my bt4 install and have ping disabled on the archives server.

Or I could have just missed something very obvious for the past few hours, which at this point I wouldn't put it past me.

Thanks

I would try putting a live usb in and see how apt-get works in that. were you perhaps not as root when trying to update? Was another package manager running?

hope this helps

Just burned his ISO

I tried it just with apt-get and sudo apt-get, with the same results with both. The only thing I had opened was the terminal. I don't think I said this in the first post, but linux isn't my strong point right now (not nearly as good as my google/search has gotten), but it has gotten better in the past few months. So if there is something simple I'm missing, please let me know.

I'll try the usb live and report back.

Thanks

Developer

Well all I can tell you is that the reposerver is fine so its most likely a issue on your end.

r00t@pwnsauce ~ $ ssh root@192.168.1.199
    root@192.168.1.199's password:

BackTrack 4 (PwnSauce) Penetration Testing and Auditing Distribution

Last login: Sat Dec 12 09:33:52 2009 from 192.168.1.194
    root@bt4:~# date
    Sat Dec 12 20:42:30 EST 2009
    root@bt4:~# apt-get update
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce Release.gpg
    Ign Remote Exploit Repository ./ Release.gpg
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce Release
    Ign Remote Exploit Repository ./ Release
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce/main Packages
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce/microverse Packages
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce/macroverse Packages
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce/restricted Packages
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce/universe Packages
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository pwnsauce/multiverse Packages
    Ign Remote Exploit Repository ./ Packages
    Hit Remote Exploit Repository ./ Packages
    Reading package lists... Done
    root@bt4:~# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@bt4:~#

Just burned his ISO

I assumed it was something I did, but it doesn't hurt to check if a truck hit a power pole and took out the power.

I get the same results from a live cd, I also tried my live usb drive, but I think I broke grub on it, but I'm reformating that anyways for a multipass. I bypassed my router and still the same thing. So I'm left with my isp blocking it for some reason, or something is wrong with my install/install cd, since I had to do a manual install because it couldn't see my hard drive in the partitioner.

Since I'm pretty much out of ideas, I'm going to try it again with my college's internet tomorrow to see if it's a problem with my isp, and then see if any one there has any ideas.

I'd run a traceroute on to repositories. It sounds more like a networking issue beyond your hands.

Just burned his ISO

Good call, I tried it, makes it to my external address of my router, then times out. So it doesn't know where to go from there. I tried doing a few searches to make sure it is using the correct IP, but I couldn't find any answers. The address I'm trying to connect to is 94.23.3.208, if someone could tell me how to check to make sure it is the correct address that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Guess something is wrong with my home internet. I tried once I got to class and it worked perfectly. oh well, I'll just have to update at school from now on.

Thanks all

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BattZ View Post
    oh well, I'll just have to update at school from now on.
    Apropos update, use the edit button when updating for updating your posts instead of making a consecutive one.
    Thanks.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.