Thread: Change the bootsplash BT 4 pre-final

Default Change the bootsplash BT 4 pre-final

First I just want to say I love this distro. and thanks to all that have put it together.
    I am putting this post up because, I have been in a few situations I didn't want to advertise that I was running BT when booting up my laptop.
    Don't get me wrong I love BT, just sometimes don't want others to see I am running it.
    I looked everywhere on how to change the bootsplash and couldn't find a one stop solution so this is how I did it. This was originally a response to another post but the title wasn't clear.
    You will need kernel headers or source to do this.

hXXp://bootsplash.sourcearchive.com/documentation/3.3/splash_8c-source.html
    copy source from above link (change hXXp to http) to a text file save it ie. splash.c then compile it

Code:
    root@bt:~# cd /wherever you saved the file
    root@bt:~# gcc -o splash splash.c
    backup original bootsplash used by fix-splash and make a link to bootsplash dir in /etc/ I did this because most themes are preset for this dir
    Code:
    root@bt:~# mv -i /opt/bootsplash/bootsplash /opt/bootsplash/bootsplashold
    root@bt:~# ln -s /opt/bootsplash /etc/bootsplash
    root@bt:~# mkdir /etc/bootsplash/themes
    download theme of choice for bootsplash or make your own and save to /etc/bootsplash/themes/
    make your new bootsplash
    Code:
    root@bt:~# ./splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/themes/coolsplash/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >> /etc/bootsplash/bootsplash
    root@bt:~# fix-splash
    root@bt:~# reboot now
    a few times for me if the splash didn't change after reboot i just ran fix-splash again and all was well
    if you don't like your change or miss the old one rename the backup back to bootsplash and fix-splash again

Just burned his ISO

I actually had the same thought. If i was demo a exploit to my work place to show a vulnerability, i was concerned that after leaving that meeting, every IT professional will download a copy of BT and start attempting to use it. I'm all for sharing information, and appreciate this post.

If you don't want someone to know you are using it, should you be using it?

I can think of a reason... you are going to surprise your girlfriend by installing BT4 for her, and you don't want her to see before her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    If you don't want someone to know you are using it, should you be using it?

I can think of a reason... you are going to surprise your girlfriend by installing BT4 for her, and you don't want her to see before her birthday.
    Actually my Wife likes it. Sure I should use it, But seeing as though I use it as my primary OS, every time I am in a public place and I boot up a smiley face boot is well, just better.

I believe you were referring to my howto posts mentioned here: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...agon-icon.html

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    I believe you were referring to my howto posts mentioned here: hXXp://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-howto/25475-bt-4-pre-final-howto-grub-splash-fix-boot-splash-gui-login-menu-kmenu-dragon-icon.html]
    I was not referring to your post. Your post was great. I was referring to one on a user wanting to change the bootsplash. Not the grub splash. Also this post is about adding your own bootsplash to change the "The quiter you become ...." splash .