Thread: Help with BT4 wireless issues

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Help with BT4 wireless issues

Ok......

I know it's been heard time and time again. I've searched everywhere I could get my geeky little hands on, and found nothing....

Here is my issue;

I recently installed BT4 via Live CD to my Hard drive.
    I am using an HP G60 Notebook. The internal wireless card is an Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter.
    I also have an Alfa AWUS036H wireless antenna that, for the life of me, I could not install.

If anyone has a bit of insight on what I can do, it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't like being tied to my desk when I could be sitting in a comfy chair messing with BT. =(

What have you tried so far to fix the problem? What did you search for, what methods didnt work, what errors are you getting?

What results do you get when you try and configure the interface from the command line.

The more relevant details you provide the better the chance someone will be willing/able to help you.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I tried googling any different drivers for my Alfa wireless adapter and came up with nothing.
    Almost immediately after posting my OP, I looked back through this forum again, and found that my built-in wireless card is not supported.

I tried unpacking the drivers for my alfa antenna, and for some reason, they didn't take. I tried googling solutions to this and came up with nothing. I did happen to find a few commands that, if my antenna were installed, would allow it to work. ( /etc/init.d/networking start, ifconfig wlan1 up, iwconfig, ect ect ect.....)

I am currently at my office, this evening I will c/p the exact error from the wireless adapter.

There has never been a need to install drivers for Alfa AWUS036H. It has Realtek RTL8187L chipset which would be dependent on rtl8187 driver that has been incorporated into the kernel. There is also a legacy driver known as r8187 which should also work should rtl8187 driver fail to.

If you are using bt4 beta, I strongly suggest you to get bt4 pre final and update to the latest kernel which is available in the repository. There are guides on how to do that and the driver I find works the best.

As for the Atheros (built-in) chipset, there are support for it known as ath9k driver. That same driver is also integrated into linux kernel. So again, if you are using bt4 beta, I suggest you get bt4 pre final and update kernel. If again there's no support, I suggest you try turning off acpi at boot and if still no dice either try vanilla kernel or use compat-wireless (both of which require familiarity with linux internals as they will break setups)