Thread: backtrack 2 + n3 + vmware fusion hangs

Just burned his ISO

Default backtrack 2 + n3 + vmware fusion hangs

Anybody using this combination. BT 2 was one release that it was claimed would work with the rokland n3 but on my machine when I try to connect the USB adapter it spins and spins and spins.

Exactly what chipset is contained on rokland n3? wheres your lsusb output?

Quote Originally Posted by steffi View Post
    Anybody using this combination. BT 2 was one release that it was claimed would work with the rokland n3 but on my machine when I try to connect the USB adapter it spins and spins and spins.
    This happened to me with bt2/bt3 + zydas1211b + vmware 6. Now I use vmware 7 but i don't know if it still hangs. When i have the time i'll try.

That chipset/firmware/radio is buggy. Especially running it under bt2/bt3 you will run into issues. With bt4 and the > 2.6.26 kernel the driver seems to be far more stable.

Just burned his ISO

What exactly is your bt4 configuration with the n3? Which driver are you using?

I don't have n3, but I have a pair of no-name (generic) usb dongles equipped with exactly the same if not similar chipset. The driver under bt4 should be zd1211.

(edit) I should also add that I don't use vmware fusion. I used vmware workstation and ran bt in live mode (i.e. no virtualisation whatsoever).

Just burned his ISO

So if I'm using the N3 with BT pre 4 or Bt3 then which driver should I use? There are so many of them. The ones that came on the n3 driver CD, the older

2008_0925_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1-1.4.0.0.tar.bz2
    2009_0820_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.2.0.0.tar.bz2

as well as

RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0_20091204.tgz

When I tried to build any of these and put them in bt 3 I ended up with invalid module format errors.

Quote Originally Posted by steffi View Post
    So if I'm using the N3 with BT pre 4 or Bt3 then which driver should I use? There are so many of them. The ones that came on the n3 driver CD, the older

2008_0925_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1-1.4.0.0.tar.bz2
    2009_0820_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.2.0.0.tar.bz2

as well as

RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0_20091204.tgz

When I tried to build any of these and put them in bt 3 I ended up with invalid module format errors.
    I believe your questions should be moved into newbie area.

The main issue is with this type of chipset you will need at minimum bt4 beta. Both bt2 as well as bt3 contains legacy kernel, both are largely outdated in the wireless world and have much been deprecated due to the lack of conformity in the wireless realm.

In addition to that, have you ever actually bothered to search the forums for such chipset rather than asking in multiple areas in a bid to get a solution for each and every bt version you now have on your hands? People like you would have only preferred to use bt4 pre-final rather than bt2 or bt3 where its evidently later version are better.

Hint: Look at the release dates for bt2 and bt3, go figure out if your chipset was released before or during those dates. Then compare that to bt4 pre-final.

Just burned his ISO

Wow people can be really condescending in this forum can't they. I've been reading the forums and see that the n3 is considered to be rt2870 but that there's often a different driver recommended for each and never have I seen anybody claim any success with any driver used in bt2, bt3 etc. All you find is conflicting information about what driver works and where.