Thread: How to prolong battery life?

Just burned his ISO

Default How to prolong battery life?

Hi, this is my first post, I hope I didnt break any rules, I googled and searched the forum first. So, basicly, BT is very nice distro, but is there any way to increase my notebook battery life? I have standart 6 cell battery, and with BT 4 pre running in powersaving CPU mode. But still it drains my battery pretty fast compared to Windows 7. About 15 minutes of BT4 take away about 20% of the battery, its terribly fast. My windows 7 (dualboot) takes away the same amount of battery in about 30 minutes. Of course in power save mode. In both systems I have screen backlight set to minimum. Is there any way to prolong battery life with Back Track?

Stop un-necessary services running in the background under linux, if possible use CLI. The GUI is somewhat bloated and can therefore drain power.

If those ideas don't work, consider hardware upgrades e.g. using SSD instead of hard disk and taking out un-necessary bits and pieces.

buy an expanded battery? lol
    "Only in America :P - where else can you find a company that makes a buggy product and makes tons of money from it, have people exploit the heck out of it and then make tonnes MORE money from selling their existing customers "upgrades" that induce MORE bugs?" -markds

I don't think the power management in linux is quite as good as in windows. Google around for power management in Ubuntu for your laptop, there might be some good info there.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

I wouldn't say that barry, my laptop lasts a good 3 to 4 hours on powersaving mode.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerManagement

Backtrack 4 is based on ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) correct me if I'm wrong.

And you didn't say what laptop you had ?? Things like dimming the lcd backlight, framebuffer compresion can also save you power. Google them to find out more about setting them up on your system.

PS..

also check out this site ..

http://www.lesswatts.org/

Nope backtrack 4 pre-final is based of kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) with custom kde (3.5 instead of 4) and custom kernel plus other things.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi
    Nope backtrack 4 pre-final is based of kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) with custom kde (3.5 instead of 4) and custom kernel plus other things.
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up hatake_kakashi. I haven't really used backtrack 4 since it was released. I do have a vmware box setup with bt4 but I have only ran it once lol