Thread: rt3572 (WUSB600N v2)

Default rt3572 (WUSB600N v2)

This 802.11n wireless card does not work in Backtrack 4 pre-final, nor in Ubuntu Karmic. When plugged in, the computer detects that something has been plugged in, but nothing else happens. I did some research and it seems like the card in question comes with a fairly new Ralink chipset. At the time of this writing I was unable to locate any linux-based drivers for the chipset in question.

Device: Linksys WUSB600N v2
    Chipset: RT3572L

Screenshots:

Additional info:

Dmesg output upon hotplugging:
    usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1737:0079 Linksys
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Just burned his ISO

I have good news and bad news for you.

1. Bad News - It does work, but you have to use ndiswrapper and ndisgtk to get it to work.

2. Good News - I didn't get into the detail, but someone claimed it worked under a different atheros module. They didn't specify the module. I have had to do this same thing before and what I did was find a recently manufactured atheros chipset that closely matched and used its module, and it actually worked.

With all this being said, you may need to read this post on this very forum:

Code:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-non-working-hardware/27630-ralink-rt2870-issues-bt4pf-linksys-wusb600n.html
    Chipset is different than what you claim you have, but nothing new there, I have seen quite a few cards that had same model number and different chipsets. But it looks like updating the kernel in bt4 may help. Man, if you have already done that, get a different card I guess....
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history -- with the possible exceptions of hand guns and tequila.
    --Mitch Ratliffe

I believe you are mixing up my wireless card with another model. The one I have here is WUSB600N ver 2, the one in your link is WUSB600N ver 1. These two have different chipsets, (and use different drivers). I have originally attempted to get my card running using the rt2870 driver before I realized that my chipset was different. And for the record, I have many other wireless cards, I'm only reporting this new find.

EDIT: WUSB600N ver1 looks like this.

It appears that it maybe supported under kernel 2.6.30. The repository afaik has 2.6.30.5 which may help however if not, you may need to try compat-wireless package or much more later kernel.

I searched with the words: rt3572; "linux driver"

I've searched in various places, including the driver CD that came along, compat-wireless package, and the Ralink website itself. There was no sing of a compatible driver. I did however manage to bring the device to a point where the a device "ra0" appeared in ifconfig, and the led lit up after I mistakenly modified the rt2870sta driver by adding the device to the list and then loading the compiled kernel module.

I was able to bring the device up, put it into monitor mode, change the frequency (2.4 and 5GHz), and even send some packets using aireplay-ng (packets were logged in wireshark), but the device was unable to capture any incoming packets.

For now we'll just have to wait until a decent driver appears.

Funny how sites boast such chipset support way back ages ago and it appears such coding were barely implemented days ago (as of writing).

I delved deeper in regards to this issue. It maybe a likely possibility that the rt2x00 may handle it as there has been git commit 6 days ago (as of writing) into wireless-testing.

As for normal usage, the use of ndiswrapper is possible when you search by the pci:id of the device.

just download the rt3572usb driver from ralink website. when you extract the file, nano the "common/rtusb_dev_id.c". Then add your device id from lsusb. I have the same card and it works, but packaet injection. No go.
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

Well spotted! This driver was added recently to the list. It's a staging driver.

Driver link: Here.

Just burned his ISO

I installed the 3572-drivers as well, and can get wireless to work, but not in monitor-mode and no injection..

i have as well seen that airmon-ng tells me that i am using the rt2500 driver, whereas lsmod tells me i am using rt3572sta

well, i also bought this card because i thought it was v1, the full mode supported. never noticed before that there's a v2 release, until i was trying to setup the device and typed lsusb. i've spent some hours to make the wireless work with rt3572sta drivers, but like you've already noticed, there's no chance to put it into monitor mode.
    i'd like to know if you think that working drivers for this card will be released soon or not. i mean, i still have the chance to return the card to the dealer and get another one. ..or is it better for me to keep it and wait for a potential driver release?

thanks.