Thread: WPA Handshake Capture Problem - Sony Vaio with AR9285

Just burned his ISO

Default WPA Handshake Capture Problem - Sony Vaio with AR9285

Hello, this is my first post in the forum even though I lurk. I'm having difficulties with capturing the 4 way handshake used in WPA and WPA-CCMP (WPA2). I have a Sony Vaio with an Atheros AR9285 adapter (ath9k). My target is on channel 3 (my lab router). Here are the steps I use:
    1) macchanger -r wlan0
    2) mkdir ~/dump
    3) airmon-ng start wlan0 3
    4) airodump-ng -c 3 --bssid 00:0E:25:9F:C6:32 -w ~/dump/test mon0
    This is where i connect my phone to the AP and am able to browse but no handshake is caught. So I deauth it a couple times to try and cap it.
    5) aireplay-ng --deauth 5 -a 00:0E:25:9F:C6:32 wlan0
    My phone loses connection and then reconnects, but I still don't capture a handshake no matter how many times I try it. I never had problems on my old laptop and BT3. Am I doing something wrong? If i setup my router to WEP an ARP replay attack works great and I can get into it. So packet injection is fine. I searched the forums and google and I couldnt find anything related to issues with WPA[2], this chipset, and BT4 pre-final. Any help would be much appreciated.

On step 5) use the -c option which is the MAC address of the client you are deauthing
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -0 2 -a (mac of AP) -c (mac of client) mon0
    also check out h++p://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=cracking_wpa

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dustyboner View Post
    On step 5) use the -c option which is the MAC address of the client you are deauthing
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -0 2 -a (mac of AP) -c (mac of client) mon0
    also check out h++p://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=cracking_wpa
    That didn't help. My phone was getting deauthed before, I can see it physically on the screen. The problem is capturing the reauthentication handshake. I will check out the troubleshooting tips listed on the page though. Thank you.

The posted tutorial is important, it has an entire section labeled "I Cannot Capture the Four-way Handshake!". I have had to match my a/b/g/n and link speed when capturing a variety of different devices.