Thread: Hawking HWUG1 WIRELESS USB Adapter help

Just burned his ISO

Default Hawking HWUG1 WIRELESS USB Adapter help

I need some help please

I bought a Hawking HWUG1 WIRELESS USB Adapter to use with backtrack

I am unsure of how to get backtrack to see it.

I am totaly new to backtrack. I have read many things but i still cant understand or find the answer i seek.

I cant use any of the features cause it says in forum i have to activate it . i am usure how or what that means please assist me if able

thank you

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

The BT4 How to section is not for your questions.
    Post in the correct section please.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...ad-thread.html
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

He is right. The answers for this are all over the web, particularly you should search the following sites:

1. Google
    2. Ubuntu's forums
    3. Our Forums
    (not necessarily in that order)

I can relate with you so I will give you some advice. First off, you need to find if the driver is native to this kernel or if you have to add it. From what I gathered at the ubuntu forums your adapter has the rt2570 chipset, so you would try this from a console (command prompt):

1. Type the following:
    Code:
    $sudo modprobe rt2570
    If it has an error, it will give you an error and you post it here, otherwise if you just get another command prompt it is fine.

2. Type the following:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    This will give you the list of wireless devices assigned. Yours should be ath0 or wlan0.

3. Type the following:
    Code:
    sudo wicd
    This is step is important in being able to run the network manager WICD.

4. Type the following:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig ath0 up
    (you would use wlan0 if that is what reported on the iwconfig command)

5. Now go to the "K Menu" then the "Internet" section, and then click on "Wicd"

6. This will allow you to see the networks you can connect to and also to set static ip information, encryption information, etc...

BackTrack is a much more advanced platform than the starter platforms like Ubuntu, Mint, etc.... You really should start with them in order to learn linux, or familiarize yourself with their forums as they can be helpful universally.

Most linux users do not give directions in "step by step" mode. It is assumed you have some knowledge. The only way to get this knowledge is to search for it, and actually try it. Don't be scared....It's called LEARNING!

Good Luck!

-jb
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history -- with the possible exceptions of hand guns and tequila.
    --Mitch Ratliffe