Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn HD install into USB install?

Default Turn HD install into USB install?

Is there a way to recompress the full HD install, with all the modifications i've made to it, into the normal USB image that i can boot from anywhere?

Definitely, it is a lot of fun

This guide walks you through the important steps:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...ionFromScratch

prowl3r

This is another way to do it (from scratch).

http://www.offensive-security.com/bl...ck-up-to-date/

prowl3r's method seems to use the original ISO and updates that, is there a way to do that with the current system instead of using the ISO - i've made a ton of changes to mine and would rather not re-do it all in the chroot environment for the iso. not even sure i can.

So i set up my distro mostly correctly, i tried following the ubuntu guide, but it sets up a barebones ubuntu system instead of the BT4 system as it appears to get everything from ubuntu.com.

That doesnt seem right as the kernel version is wrong and so forth.

Since bt4 already has everything needed to boot from a USB drive, is there any way to re-compress the contents of / into iso format?

EDIT: i looked over the bt4-customize.sh script and its a bit more complex than i can quickly grasp @ this hour of night. I suppose a good amount of casper related reading is in order here. If someone's turned a full HD install with all their numerous changes into bootable casper iso that has the functionality of the original bt4-pf iso, i'd love to know how it was done .

Is there a way to recompress the full HD install, with all the modifications i've made to it, into the normal USB image that i can boot from anywhere?
    Yes there is...

Backup you HD install with tar.
    cd /

Code:
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /

Then reboot with backtrack DVD ,insert usb flash drive and install backtrack to it.

Now shut down and pull out usb flash drive and reboot normaly ,put flash drive back in and move your backup.tgz to / of flash drive and restore backup like so.

cd /of flashdrive
    Code:
    tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C /

KOn_TrOLL: that won't work because there's no bootloader installed.

RageLtMan: There has been suggestions on IRC to use remastersys. I'd give that a shot.

Exclamation

KOn_TrOLL: that won't work because there's no bootloader installed.
    I would not of wasted my time posting that if it did not work!

Also after reviewing your 762 posts its obvious that you are a post hore and you do not know what your talking about 80% of the time.Well i must say at least your consistent.

KOn_TrOLL, dont start flame wars here, not the place for it.

hatake_kakashi, i'm trying the remastersys approach now - given that it comes preinstalled, i'm thinking this is how the dev team did this in the first place. Seems to be progressing just fine...

EDIT:
    seems to work, mostly. One odd thing i noticed is that the process seems to have killed the resolv.conf symlink in /etc/ odd, looking into it, but shouldn't be anything utterly fatal

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KOn_TrOLL View Post
    Also after reviewing your 762 posts its obvious that you are a post hore and you do not know what your talking about 80% of the time.Well i must say at least your consistent.
    The following is an extract of the rules you agreed to uphold as a member here. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with them so as to be in compliance, or else you can take your trash talking somewhere else.

We will no longer tolerate abusive or derogatory remarks, or members acting like self-appointed moderators. The forum staff are here to help you. Please use their services. If ANY member has an issue with the content of ANY post within these forums, use the "REPORT THIS POST" button - This is the red triangle icon when using the default forum theme, or the asterisk icon when using the Blackfire Razor forum theme, found in the top right corner of each post.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast