Thread: smartmontools

Just burned his ISO

Default smartmontools

would be nice to include it in final version. I think there is a lot of space unused on current pre-final DVD

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomasyk View Post
    would be nice to include it in final version. I think there is a lot of space unused on current pre-final DVD
    Can give the following a try:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4...oring-how.html
    I did it for BT4 beta but the basics should still be the same.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

thank you, but I meant "offline" version of smart tools. You might not have internet connection when you need to repair a disk and want to see S.M.A.R.T. data... apt-get I presume is connecting and downloading this tools from internet.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

thank you, but I meant "offline" version of smart tools. You might not have internet connection when you need to repair a disk and want to see S.M.A.R.T. data... apt-get I presume is connecting and downloading this tools from internet.
    Yes and no. Create a persistent USB version or modify the ISO via the official guidelines and add it as your own package then reburn. That way you have apt-get'd from the internet, but it will stay offline for you.

Using the smartmon tools is not really a penetration testing component, it'd be a stretch to say they were forensic (even the check updates the "last checked" value IIRC, anulling them for a court record). I can see where you're coming from with the more-space-on-the-dvd, but if people started requesting all the additional the distro would quickly devolve from a penetration testing distribution that I use exclusively for that, into, well, ubuntu.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I fully understand what you meant. I merely posted the link for a bit of guidance (if needed) on the subject. In addition to what Gitsnick mentioned above, just because there is room doesn't mean it needs to be filled up, to be a good product. The left over room with the aforementioned tutorial affords the Penetration Tester the option to add things that they would benefit from. So as having it in the repositories and having a guide or two on how to remaster the iso should be enough to give you a flexible tool package that will suit your needs best.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.