Thread: how to use wireless on backtrack 4

Just burned his ISO

Default how to use wireless on backtrack 4

dear all,

excuse me..., i want to ask a question....

my computer is lenovo thinkpad sl300 and the O.S is backtrack 4. can u help me, how to make connect my computer to the wireless network (explain to me from : where i can get the correct wireless driver, installing the correct wireless driver, until can open facebook.com).

please help...

thanx b4.....

just do this in the terminal

wicd
    wicd-client

you would see the manager open up in the bottom right and you should know the rest.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tirto View Post
    dear all,
    excuse me..., i want to ask a question....
    The BT4 Tutorial and How To section is not for your questions.
    Please post in the correct section.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I love smug answers like "this is not the correct area". How about pointing the OP to the "correct" area.

15 years of linux users and people still have to answer RTFM or "that doesn't go here." What ever happened to the intent of "I'm not going to just do the work for you, but I'll AT LEAST SHOW YOU where to look."

Quote Originally Posted by timekills View Post
    I love smug answers like "this is not the correct area".
    If you love those type of answers you should be very happy here, because we often give them.

Want to know what I love? When people come here and spend their first post telling us all about what we are doing wrong. Invariably these are always people who are new to the scene, or without much experience responding to the same question over and over in web forums. In other words, people who have no idea what they are talking about.

How about pointing the OP to the "correct" area.
    The area to which the post has been moved is the correct area. We expect the poster to be able to pick up on this little detail, and we don't want to have to specifically point it out because we have to move posts like this A LOT and it takes us extra time to give a full and detailed response to each poster.

And really, its just not that difficult to work out where the correct place to post is. A read of some of the posts in the forum you are about to post to in order to see if they are similar to yours will pretty much give you a good clue as to whether you are posting in the right spot. Not to mention reading the descriptions for each forum - for example the HowTo forum has a description of "Tutorials and Howtos about BackTrack 4 (NOT for requesting tutorials or how to do anything)", so yes, you should not be asking "how to" questions there. Most people just don't bother to do this checking before they post.

15 years of linux users and people still have to answer RTFM or "that doesn't go here." What ever happened to the intent of "I'm not going to just do the work for you, but I'll AT LEAST SHOW YOU where to look."
    This is actually the approach we use here, but we do it selectively, generally in response to people who appear to have made a decent effort before posting. Again its a matter of spending our time wisely. If someone can't even bother to do the very basic groundwork before they post a question, its likely that any attempt we make to help them will result in us having to hand hold through the entire process. If you provide a pointer in the right direction, the next thing many of them ask is, "How do I do that?", "What does that mean?", etc, etc. So we explain the explanation, and then answer a bunch of follow up simple questions until the problem eventually gets fixed or we give up out of frustration.

Alternatively moderators may not always have time to answer a question, they may only have time to move a thread and tell the poster to post in the right place next time.

I hope this satisfies you, and if not I encourage you to demonstrate to us "how it should be done" by responding to every basic question with a pointer as to where the poster should look. Do it for several months in a row and maybe the rest of us will agree it's a sustainable approach and will follow your example.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I love smug answers like "this is not the correct area". How about pointing the OP to the "correct" area.

Ohh I am sorry your feelings got hurt. NO wait I lied, but I really want to help you out here. In addition to what Lupin mentioned above. Most of us have jobs and or families, so time is precious, and we want to help as many people as possible. Further more instead of making your first post your little soap box why didn't you use your time/energy to point the OP in the right direction? Seems hypocritical to me.

Why should I help anyone who can't bother to at least read the sub-forum titles? If they can't read where to correctly post then that pretty much tells me they won't bother to read anything more complex in regards to an answer. In reality I would just like to delete all posts of users who can't be bothered to do a basic search on topics that come up every single day (sometimes multiple times per day). Or better yet I could just give out infractions to the posters. But doing so would be a little harsh in my book.
    Also contrary to what you may think or know about forums, this one has higher standards than some you may have frequented. As such we expect all members to uphold this standard and we as a community like it that way. We don't want to spend time going through "rubbish" to find the "good stuff". So if you don't like any of this or feel this is not something you wish to be a part of, feel free to go.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.