Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop WIFI Signal -- Improve Range By...

Just burned his ISO

Question Laptop WIFI Signal -- Improve Range By...

A neighbor has been kind enough to allow me access to their wireless internet free of charge. The signal is acceptable from within the kitchen however I would prefer to surf from the basement. I don't want to tell him ways to improve his signal for my benefit so I ask you this...

With my laptop, which has a builtin wireless antenna, how do i get better reception and transmission with my neighbor's router? I've heard of USB wireless adapters which come with an antenna (eg. Alfa AWUS036H 500mW USB WiFi Adapter) with 500mW Tx/Rx. Would such an adapter as the Alfa AWUS036H for my laptop significantly improve my wireless reception / transmission from the basement?

Thanks for the education.

Quote Originally Posted by quantass View Post
    A neighbor has been kind enough to allow me access to their wireless internet free of charge. The signal is acceptable from within the kitchen however I would prefer to surf from the basement. I don't want to tell him ways to improve his signal for my benefit so I ask you this...

With my laptop, which has a builtin wireless antenna, how do i get better reception and transmission with my neighbor's router? I've heard of USB wireless adapters which come with an antenna (eg. Alfa AWUS036H 500mW USB WiFi Adapter) with 500mW Tx/Rx. Would such an adapter as the Alfa AWUS036H for my laptop significantly improve my wireless reception / transmission from the basement?

Seems more like you are secretly borrowing. But try to google: Cantenna and stuff like that or get a usb wifi adapter and a long usb cord and hang it out a window.

Well, I can offer a few things here...

1) Try to position your laptop in a few different places while down in the basement. You will find the RF can be finicky and reception improves magically if you can simply move or rotate the computer slowly, watching the received signal strength indicator.

2) You could purchase a WiFi router and set it up to repeat the signal. Place such a device upstairs where it can "see" the signal from your friend, and where it has a good chance to reach you downstairs. I think there's even dedicated signal repeaters on the market that do this out-of-the-box.

3) Buy a USB WiFi dongle and try it out, as your post suggests.

Others here in the RE forums will have good ideas as well...
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by kidFromBigD View Post
    You could purchase a WiFi router and set it up to repeat the signal. Place such a device upstairs where it can "see" the signal from your friend, and where it has a good chance to reach you downstairs. I think there's even dedicated signal repeaters on the market that do this out-of-the-box.
    I run a setup with a linksys wifi AP/router running a custom OS (DD-WRT) and it is set up as a wireless repeater. It connects to an AP like a client, and my laptop connects to it as a client, on it's own NAT'd network. Keep in mind, wireless repeater will provide half the speed of the connection to wireless clients. An example (not accurate numbers), my laptop connects at 54Mbs, but is only able to transfer data at 27Mbs. It is because the router works in half duplex transferring data from the client (Laptop) to the final destination (friends router). If you cable into your router, then you will get full speed.

I would personally set up a repeater instead of using an external adapter or antenna. I like being able to move around with no cables. The speed difference does not impact my situation enough to matter to me, I just wanted to make you aware of it. I can still VoIP with the repeater setup, but not VoIP and 3 other things, for example.

A neighbor has been kind enough to allow me access to their wireless internet free of charge (...)
    This is never a good way to start a thread in these forums. My advice would be to take a look on some threads on the idiots corner to understand why. And no, it doesn't matter if you're telling the truth, just the word "neighbors" is enough to raise the red flags.

Want the best reception? Stop being so cheap and actually buy your own DSL or cable connection.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Good friend of the forums spawn's Avatar

I have a usb card with pigtail , and external antenna for long distances
    "If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
    UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
    where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."

Just burned his ISO

Great info guys. I will demo the repeater first. I forgot such a device exists.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by reaperz View Post
    Seems more like you are secretly borrowing. But try to google: Cantenna and stuff like that or get a usb wifi adapter and a long usb cord and hang it out a window.
    I have gave my neighbour access to my internet, does that mean he's secretly borrowing from me?

Quote Originally Posted by wepkeme View Post
    I have gave my neighbour access to my internet, ...
    Why would anyone do that?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast