This is a TUT on installing openoffice 3.1.1 on BT4. Please comment if you need any assistance and hopefully I can help you out. I wrote each step as I performed it so do not forget to do any steps and do not jump ahead and you should be fine!

Make sure that all previous versions of OpenOffice have been completely removed. Do this through the Synaptics Package Manager, and Add/Remove Package Manager found in the "K Menu" under "System".

- Get the install file from -
hxxp://]download: - Download tested and stable builds

I used the linux 32bit .DEB version in ENGLISH(us)
**Filenames May Change if you use a different language version so use the DIR command if you think this is the case**

Step 1 - Type the following:
 $ su
Step 2 - Now type the following:
$ sudo tar -xvf OOo_3.1.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
Step 3 - Now type in the following:
$cd OOO310_m19_native_packed-1_en-US.9420
Step 4 - Now type in the following:
$cd DEBS
Step 5 - Now type in the following:
$sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Step 6 - Now type in the following:
$cd desktop-integration
Step 7 - Now type in the following:
$sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Step 8 - If prompted enter your password

Step 9 - type exit and you should no longer be using su

Step 10 - Open a console and type the following:
Step 11 - If not working, try a reboot. This worked for me, but I think I fudged up somewhere and it was just a formality, maybe I forget to exit su or something.

You should be up and running!

There is a script in the DEBS folder that you can run to do your update from the console. Just type ./update from the DEBS directory before you exit su in Step 9 if you want, or you can do it through the OpenOffice UI prefer.

**Not So Bonus**
This is suppossed to add program icons on your K menu but I haven't figured out how to do that other than manually as the install is not working right. Of course I didn't really try too hard as I have other jobs to do like please my overbearing lawyer client who wants her marketing campaign status report...

Good Luck!