Thread: Cannot "Unblock" Users and Groups

Just burned his ISO

Question Cannot "Unblock" Users and Groups

My linux experience is limited to mostly Ubuntu, Mint, and a small amount of time on Fedora. I have 2 questions to ask that I have tried googling and searching in this forum for the past 3 hours on and cannot find definite answers to.

Environment:Backtrack4 Pre-Final installed on VMWare VM (not live cd)

Question #1 - Is there a way to adjust group and user privileges without loggin in as root?
    a. I can do so using root, this is how I enabled my user to have sound.
    b. I tried $kdesu users-admin from a console but everything on the windows are still greyed out.
    ***I am assuming that my "Services" are also greyed out for the reason.***

Reason:I would like to be able to do this without logging out all the time. I was kind of wondering if most pen testers just used the root user if they did do an install of any sort ? Thoughts on that?

Question #2 - I have to login and type startx from a prompt everytime. I messed around with the KDM settings somewhat but it had no effect on my login. What do I need to do in order to install a login manager, or the OTB one which is ironically login-manager.

Once again, I searched everywhere I could for answers to this but I just could not find them. Instead, I found stuff like "Help, I think hackers are on my network!", and "Help me become a pen tester overnight..." -Ughhh

Thanks in advance for any suggestions regarding my questions.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by iforgetmyname View Post
    Reason:I would like to be able to do this without logging out all the time. I was kind of wondering if most pen testers just used the root user if they did do an install of any sort ? Thoughts on that?
    Use sudo or su.

Quote Originally Posted by iforgetmyname View Post
    Question #2 - I have to login and type startx from a prompt everytime. I messed around with the KDM settings somewhat but it had no effect on my login. What do I need to do in order to install a login manager, or the OTB one which is ironically login-manager.
    Install kdm.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Problem Solved!

I was fortunate enough to have fixed this problem before the post was approved.

Using su, gksu, kdesu, nothing worked. I even tried to install nautilus, which took me back to gnome, thank god I backed up the VM first!

What worked was like you said in the end. I had to uninstall and reinstall KDM. It actually fixed every question and problem I have above!

Thanks for the input though!

jb