Thread: Cant find a solution for 4965 Not being detected

Just burned his ISO

Hey

I have the 4965 AGN wireless card and BT4 wont read it, I tried VMWare edition and live CD and same results.

Ive done /etc/init.d/networking start

And still no go, any ideas?

Also backtrack 3 reads it no problem which is weird..

Just burned his ISO

Wink Using Google to find the Answers

I would google "Intel 4965 wifi linux". You would be astounded at the result you get regarding your card. iwlagn and iwlwifi drivers seem to match your card. Try:
    $sudo lspci

See if can find your hardware. If it is being detected, then I would try:
    $sudo modprobe iwlagn (may be iwlwifi but that is suppossed to be phased out)

If you get a new prompt without an error message I would then try:
    $sudo iwconfig

If you get a list that includes wifi0, wlan0, or ath0, then I would try:
    $sudo wicd (doesn't start automatically on this distro until u configure it to)

Then I would click "K Menu" "Internet" "Wicd" and configure my card

Then I would try:
    $sudo ifconfig and see if it is showing up

If that doesn't work, then you are going to have to google and research your chipset more than I did to find the answer. Try the Ubuntu forums as well, as there is much more support there because it is a more widely used distro. I found a post on there saying that people were successfully configuring that card with ndiswrapper. I also read that the card had official linux drivers out so reading through their information may help, really read it.

Hope I helped you. The moderators around here get kind of upset when they see such a vague post that is easily googled or search options show the answers. Make sure you are really trying to figure out the problem before you post.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by texstorm View Post
    Hey

I have the 4965 AGN wireless card and BT4 wont read it, I tried VMWare edition and live CD and same results.

Ive done /etc/init.d/networking start

And still no go, any ideas?
    VMware only detects USB cards as wireless cards. Built-In wireless cards will not be recognized as wireless. It's in the stickies on newbie area.

Just burned his ISO

But like i said, i just tried VMWare as a test... I used live cd and wouldnt recognize either. And i want backtrack help not linux because it seems ubuntu stuff isnt working for backtrack stuff.. I just need it to read it lol, backtrack 3 did.. And packet injection is a whole different game But I guess i can just get ubuntu and get some of progs backtrack has..

No one can help?

Don't bump threads please. If no one has responded to you yet its likely that you havent provided enough relevant information. maybe you can explain what research and troubleshooting you have done, what potential solutions didn't work and the results you got from them, etc.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.