Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentester Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
    What books have you written so I can check them out?
    Here's the list. Most often I'm a coauthor.

WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend
    IT Ethics
    Game Console Hacking
    RFID Security
    Emerging Threat Analysis
    Joe Grand's "Best Of" Hardware, Wireless, & Game Console Hacking
    How to Cheat at Deploying and Securing RFID
    WarDriving & Wireless Penetration Testing
    Kismet Hacking*
    Wireless Security

*with theprez98, one of the Mods on the RE Forums. He has written several other books, too.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Here's the list. Most often I'm a coauthor.

WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend
    IT Ethics
    Game Console Hacking
    RFID Security
    Emerging Threat Analysis
    Joe Grand's "Best Of" Hardware, Wireless, & Game Console Hacking
    How to Cheat at Deploying and Securing RFID
    WarDriving & Wireless Penetration Testing
    Kismet Hacking*
    Wireless Security

*with theprez98, one of the Mods on the RE Forums. He has several other books, too.
    I'm going to check these out.Thanks for this...Can this stuff really be self taught,or is school something you want to look into if you're really serious about it.
    The forums are addicting.I twitch if I go a day with out remote-exploit.Who would ever thought linux and w.e.p. cracking who lead to this.:D I'M A BACKTRACK JUNKIE.

I'm going to check these out.Thanks for this...Can this stuff really be self taught,or is school something you want to look into if you're really serious about it.
    In my case about 90% of it is self taught, mainly because infosec as a specialty didn't exist when I started playing with computers and no one was teaching it. (Hell, I predate "computer science" as a school subject for that matter.) I've taken some course for certifications, and to round out some things I've missed on my own.

School is a shortcut that will teach you the basics, and even some more advanced things but even the best schools aren't a substitute for experience.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    In my case about 90% of it is self taught, mainly because infosec as a specialty didn't exist when I started playing with computers and no one was teaching it. (Hell, I predate "computer science" as a school subject for that matter.) I've taken some course for certifications, and to round out some things I've missed on my own.

School is a shortcut that will teach you the basics, and even some more advanced things but even the best schools aren't a substitute for experience.
    Hell, you predate dirt.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Hell, you predate dirt.
    LOL!! Yall something else man....So I guess good old self study is the way to get it.
    The forums are addicting.I twitch if I go a day with out remote-exploit.Who would ever thought linux and w.e.p. cracking who lead to this.:D I'M A BACKTRACK JUNKIE.

LOL!! Yall something else man....So I guess good old self study is the way to get it.
    Yeah, honestly. I do IT work and I've learned all my skills from experience and self-learning. I don't get why people that do the work we do have to have a degree to get through HR departments for interviews, but c'est la vie
    This is the sixth time we have created a thread about it... and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

You can go to school and learn some stuff, but unless you really apply yourself, you'll only learn what they teach you. Unfortunately, that isn't really enough to be really good in the field. You need to study on your own, and learn on your own, many times, very quickly and on the spot.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by g3ksan View Post
    Yeah, honestly. I do IT work and I've learned all my skills from experience and self-learning. I don't get why people that do the work we do have to have a degree to get through HR departments for interviews, but c'est la vie
    Hmm.I bet that's one of the best jobs you can have.I kinda of see why you guys get mad when we ask those basic questions then..It's like baby food to you.

Developer

In my short experience its mostly trouble shooting, the key for me is figuring out whats going wrong. I can 99% of the time find the fix on google but its the diagnosis thats important

Hmm.I bet that's one of the best jobs you can have.I kinda of see why you guys get mad when we ask those basic questions then..It's like baby food to you.
    My job sucks, but I get what you are saying.

It's not about answering the questions, I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime" It applies, and honestly if you don't think outside/around/etc the box, then you can't really succeed in IT or in infosec. IT people deal with a lot of fly-by-night technicians with their A+ and Network+ who don't know how to do anything besides pass a test. The field is filled with worms.
    This is the sixth time we have created a thread about it... and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast