Thread: Help -- Linux Backup Imaging?

Just burned his ISO

Default Help -- Linux Backup Imaging?

So, I just set my computer up to triple boot:

Windows 7 / Ubuntu 8.04 LTS / Backtrack 4 Pre Final

Currently, I use Macrium Reflect 4.2 for backing up Win7. I have yet to backup either Ubuntu or Backtrack, and plan to use Macrium, but wanted to see if there is something better that is Linux specific? Also, can I make an EXACT backup image of my ENTIRE Hard Drive that contains all of my partitions (i.e. Win7, Ubuntu, & Backtrack) as one backup? <-- That would be great!

In the even that I break one -- as I often do while exploring the 'New World' (i.e. GNU/Linux) -- I would like to have a newbie friendly backup image that I can load. Ideally, I would like to make an exact backup of the entire hard drive as mentioned above, and also make a backup of each individual OS.

Now that I'm done writing this post I'm thinking I might be better off just going straight to Santa Claus for this one...

Thanks!

dd or any of its clones can take a copy of an entire hard drive, though Im presuming you were after something easier with features like only backing up used sectors. Have a look at Clonezilla.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

You could always use acronis or ghost to clone the hard drive. Another option may be using a raid 1 (mirror) setup.

Just burned his ISO

@ lupin

You rock my friend...thanks for the info.

the 'dd' command will be a great thing to learn, but you're right Clonezilla looks like a good place to start for someone of lesser skill (me!).