Thread: apt-get install backtrack-tools

Default apt-get install backtrack-tools

i just want to put all the tools backtrack provide on another os...

i was thinking about apt-get but it could take along time putting together a repository...

lets say my labtop has a hd install of linux mint... could i boot from a usb stick with bt4, then just transfer files from hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    i just want to put all the tools backtrack provide on another os...

i was thinking about apt-get but it could take along time putting together a repository...

lets say my labtop has a hd install of linux mint... could i boot from a usb stick with bt4, then just transfer files from hard drives?
    Some will work, others won't. The more common apps should be in other linux repositories, kismet, wireshark, stuff like that.

Developer

Most likely not since you have no idea what libs go with which binaries. Also it is really in poor form to even ask this question, you have been around long enough to know this so I am a little disappointed.

Just burned his ISO

First of all. To perform such an operation, it will be really hard, much harder than using apt-get, as you'll have to take into consideration all the dependencies and libs , as pureh@te stated. So using apt-get is a better choice here. However you can also do it manually, downloading the sources and building them with 'make'. Although it is more frustrating, than using apt-get, but you don't depend on the contents of repositories.

Secondly, why do you want to transfer all the toolset to another distribution ? I don't think it's a good idea from the start. Firstly, I may be wrong, but doubt that you use every single tool from the set Back|Track provides, so you could install only those, which you really use. But it's just my opinion. Still you will have to install all the missing libraries. And i can say from my personal experience, that there are lot's of things missing in other distros, because they are suitable for other purposes. Like, for example, to run a half of programs from Back|Track, you have to install tons of libs on Ubuntu 7.10. And if there are some problems with repositories, then it makes the process really long and boring ( and sometimes dangerous for the whole system ).

Anyway, it's just my opinion. So if you really intend to transfer the whole toolset to another distro, then apt-get is the best choice in this situation, to my mind.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twistr View Post
    So if you really intend to transfer the whole toolset to another distro, then apt-get is the best choice in this situation, to my mind.
    Which may be fine so long as said other distro uses the apt package management system

But I agree what would be the point? Seems to me that it would be easier to pull in what BT lacks that one may need. Not to mention it is a little disappointing to ask such a thing.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.