Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Just burned his ISO

Default Is it possible?

Hi there!

First of all I have to tell you that I am a noob. But only to WPA cracking, not in general. ;-)

I have a bet running with my neighbor that I will penetrate his wifi security in less than 4 weeks and get 50 EUR for it.

Now I really wanna do that. Here is some information that I have gathered:

• SSID is livebox_XXXX (where X stands for letter or number - it a generic router ssid). So I suggest no hash tables here?

• WPA2

• Password is supposed to be a generic one that's written on the bottom of the router. It is a pure 26 digit number password

Do you think there is a method of penetrating this network?

My PC is a Q6600 and I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (the second one).

I realize that just brute forcing the 26 digit password is impossible, so I need a penetration plan. :-)

Thank you very much for your time and input.

Regards

Xel.Ra

P.S.:
    Please don't give me any advice like "Just break the windows and look up the number on the router."!

Developer

That is the most original story I have ever heard. No one has ever tried that "bet with my neighbor" line before </sarcasm>

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xel.Ra View Post
    First of all I have to tell you that I am a noob. But only to WPA cracking, not in general. ;-)
    I have a bet running with my neighbor that I will penetrate his wifi security in less than 4 weeks and get 50 EUR for it.
    Now I really wanna do that.
    I have a bet that you are not going to get any help here.
    We don't care if you have a million euro bet with said neighbor.
    It's not your network so leave it alone unless you can prove through the relevant anonymity of the internet that you do indeed have this permission.
    Might want to re-read those rules you agreed to before you make another post, that way you will not that it is against the rules to make more than one thread on the same subject.

I see pureh@te beat me to the punch.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    That is the most original story I have ever heard. No one has ever tried that "bet with my neighbor" line before </sarcasm>
    Waddya mean? It's the first time I've heard it.

Today.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Xel.Ra View Post
    Hi there!

You made the bet. Put up or shut up......

Now I really wanna do that. Here is some information that I have gathered:

• SSID is livebox_XXXX (where X stands for letter or number - it a generic router ssid). So I suggest no hash tables here?
    • WPA2
    • Password is supposed to be a generic one that's written on the bottom of the router. It is a pure 26 digit number password

Do you think there is a method of penetrating this network?
    Likely.

My PC is a Q6600 and I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (the second one).

I realize that just brute forcing the 26 digit password is impossible, so I need a penetration plan. :-)
    Just like people shouldn't pick fights they can't win, you shouldn't make bets you can't win.

Please adhere to the forums rules you agreed to when you registered:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...e-posting.html
    • We do not condone any illegal activity at all.
    • Use sensible descriptive titles in your posts - not titles such as "Please Help!!" or "Need Assistance" or "what Am I Doing Wrong?" etc
    • Do not post about breaking into networks that do not belong to you and for which you have no permissions.
    • Posts like - "Oooh! look!! I've cracked my neighbours wireless AP" or "How do I hack a network!?" are not needed here, thanks.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Junior Member imported_freedom56's Avatar

Do people ever read the rules of this forum? I only ask because it seems there is no end to these types of posts. You know the second thing I did when joiningg this forum? (besides reading the rules...) I read all of the "Idiot's Corner" posts to help insure I never land there... Just wondering why it seems no one else does...
    "One of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs."

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post
    Do people ever read the rules of this forum? I only ask because it seems there is no end to these types of posts. You know the second thing I did when joiningg this forum? (besides reading the rules...) I read all of the "Idiot's Corner" posts to help insure I never land there... Just wondering why it seems no one else does...
    I'll take this as rhetorical. I would like to see the statistics behind the number of seconds between activating account and clicking "new thread". I bet it is small.

To paraphrase the old idiom about horses and water: "You can lead an idiot to the rules, but you can't make him read them."
    Thorn

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I read all of the "Idiot's Corner" posts..
    I did too, I mean come on the Idiot's Corner, it's got to be cool, funny etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    To paraphrase the old idiom about horses and water: "You can lead an idiot to the rules, but you can't make him read them."
    No but I can ban them.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    No but I can ban them.
    Oh sure, just fragrantly flaunt your power over us little people!

This very same problem has plagued a couple of forums I administer and moderate, and it is always a very small number of morons who cause the greatest number of ulcers for the mods and admins.

Although, I think I may have just thought of a solution: In the rules, embed two or three bits of information. Then those things have to be concatenated together as a password/passphrase that must be entered in a dialog box before the membership is accepted. You could even have it rotate several phrases so that the chances of people posting it on other boards would be minimal.

I'll have to ask a friend who is an expert on VBulletin whether this is practical to implement.
    Thorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast