Thread: can't change root password on BT4 USB Pen

Just burned his ISO

Default can't change root password on BT4 USB Pen

Hi,
    I have BT4 installed a USB pen. I went through the vid tutorial on how to install BT4 to USB from this website.
    The problem I have though, is that I need to change the password for the root account. I have changed this but every time I reboot it resets the password back to blank.

I am a bit of n00b in Linux so I may have missed something obvious.
    When I run it at boot I am select the Persisitent Live CD option. If I save any files in /root or other folders these are there on the reboot but it looks like it is not saving the system settings.
    Any ideas?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mucker View Post
    Hi,
    I have BT4 installed a USB pen. I went through the vid tutorial on how to install BT4 to USB from this website.
    The problem I have though, is that I need to change the password for the root account. I have changed this but every time I reboot it resets the password back to blank.

I am a bit of n00b in Linux so I may have missed something obvious.
    When I run it at boot I am select the Persisitent Live CD option. If I save any files in /root or other folders these are there on the reboot but it looks like it is not saving the system settings.
    Any ideas?
    And in that same tutorial video it should have shown you how to change the password. If not I would suggest you look around as this and your other question have been answer at least 10 times this week alone.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I have looked around. In fact I have searched for the past 2 days on google and on here. I am not someone who posts straight away.
    Of course it is easy for you to say look around when you are a mod and will see these queries daily.
    I searched using this in google "Change root password in linux", "Change root password in debian", "Can't change root password.....".
    In this forum I searched for the same but the only stuff that comes up tells me eiter the root account needs to enabled (mine already is) or how to change the password. I know how to do this, the problem is that it is lost after reboot.
    I am sure there are posts on here explaining how to do it but if I can't find them then what can I do except post??

And that vid tutorial does not show you how to chanage the password.

SO can anyone help please?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Do not bump your posts!
    Show me the link to the video that you used.
    I know that you can't post links yet so use hxxp instead of http.
    As for searching the generic answer is to try harder.
    So in addition to the above post here the commands that you used setup the password on your root account.

As for search terms in google root password ubuntu brings up several helpful links, as well as root password backtrack 4 or bt4
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Update2:

I tried it with the sudo passwd root and got the same result

UPDATE::
    I may have just found what my problem is myself, can you confirm please?
    I just found a document that says that this password is disabled by default on Ubuntu Live CD's and you must change it using the Sudo passwd root command. As I said I am a Linux n00b so I saw the the kosole say @Root so I presume this means I am logged in as the root user...And to change the password I type passwd root. I have seen other posts saying to type sudo first but I thought this was for different distros. If this is the case then it is a bit misleading anyway telling you that it has change the password using passwd instead of sudo passwd.
    -----------------------------------------------

The link I used and comes up frequently when I search for USB install of Back track is this www .offensive-security.com/blog/backtrack/backtrack-4-persistent-usb-install-video.

The commands I use are "passwd root"
    I then get asked to change it and confirm it. If I then lock the machine when I try unlock it I must enter the new password I set. Once I reboot the machine it has reset back to the blank password.

I never used those search queries because as I said I am a Linux n00b so I didnt know whether this issue is related to Ubuntu or Back track. The searches for Back track do not bring back any results relating to the specfic issue I have.
    I did a search for Ubuntu before and I found some reference to live CD's not being able to change the password.