Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can i access the internet within backtrack 4?

Just burned his ISO

Arrow how can i access the internet within backtrack 4?

hello,

i have installed the windows server 2003 on my computer, and i can access the internet through web browser in windows 2003.

i also installed the backtrack 4 via vmware workstation 6.5, i can ping those pcs within the same lan and the dns, but cannot open websites via web browser.

is there anyone who can help me? thanks~

Just burned his ISO

Have you checked if it is DNS resolution which is your issue? I've run in to a similar issue with VMware in NAT mode, that whie I can ping the DNS server and internet IP's the VMware host never recieves the DNS query result. I've tested by runnoing wirekshark on the BT vmware & the host PC. I see the DNS query go out, of the BT VM, shows going out of the host after being NAT'd, the local DNS server replies back to the host PC but this reply never seems to get passed back to the VM.

Might be worth checking if this happens with your set up

Sorry - should add I presume you have configured your resolv.conf (ie from the cmd line and replace 4.2.2.2 with the IP of your DNS server):

echo nameserver 4.2.2.2 > /etc/resolv.conf

thanks W60

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Use the edit button watcher60. It is available in all of your posts on the bottom right hand side of said post.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

the network connection in my vmware is bridged, and when i type
    Code:
    ping www . google . com
    in the shell of bt4, it even replies as follows:

Code:
    PING www . l . google . com (64.233.189.147) 56 (84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from *** (64.233.189.147): icmp_seq=1 ttl=243 time=163ms
    64 bytes from *** (64.233.189.147): icmp_seq=2 ttl=243 time=163ms
    64 bytes from *** (64.233.189.147): icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=165ms
    64 bytes from *** (64.233.189.147): icmp_seq=4 ttl=243 time=164ms
    64 bytes from *** (64.233.189.147): icmp_seq=5 ttl=243 time=159ms
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher_60 View Post
    Have you checked if it is DNS resolution which is your issue? I've run in to a similar issue with VMware in NAT mode, that whie I can ping the DNS server and internet IP's the VMware host never recieves the DNS query result. I've tested by runnoing wirekshark on the BT vmware & the host PC. I see the DNS query go out, of the BT VM, shows going out of the host after being NAT'd, the local DNS server replies back to the host PC but this reply never seems to get passed back to the VM.

Might be worth checking if this happens with your set up

Sorry - should add I presume you have configured your resolv.conf (ie from the cmd line and replace 4.2.2.2 with the IP of your DNS server):

echo nameserver 4.2.2.2 > /etc/resolv.conf

thanks W60

Just burned his ISO

Do you have a proxy server?
    Obvious but it is sometimes missed. In the browser for BT make you have the correct proxy settings if you are using a proxy server.

Just burned his ISO

i have a local area network, the ip for my windows is 192.168.0.5, and the ip for backtrack is 192.168.0.6, for example. we all access the internet through 192.168.0.1, which is the default gateway.

i also installed the fedora in the vmware, after "ifconfig eth0", i did nothing in the configuration of any web browser, it can open websites. so it is very strange in the bt4, and this has been the first time that i came up against the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mucker View Post
    Do you have a proxy server?
    Obvious but it is sometimes missed. In the browser for BT make you have the correct proxy settings if you are using a proxy server.

Try using the konquerer browser or try lynx at the command line to surf to a website. If this is possible then the problem is with firefox. Check your firefox configuration options and make sure it is setup the way you want/need it to be.
    Also check to make sure that the "no-scripts" add-on is not causing interference. Try turning it off and checking if that fixes the problem.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

i tried konquerer/firefox gui-based browsers and lynx at the command line to surf websites, but none succeeded

by the way, with the ping command, e.g., ping ***.google.com, i did have responses with time spent and time to live (ttl). is there anyone who have the same problem as mine?

any solution is appreciated~

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Try using the konquerer browser or try lynx at the command line to surf to a website. If this is possible then the problem is with firefox. Check your firefox configuration options and make sure it is setup the way you want/need it to be.
    Also check to make sure that the "no-scripts" add-on is not causing interference. Try turning it off and checking if that fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by beargolden View Post
    i tried konquerer/firefox gui browsers and lynx at the command line to surf a website, but none succeeded

with the ping command, i did have normal replies, is there any problem with my bt4 in vmware?
    Well maybe I should have asked this at the beginning but did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso ?
    You might even want to start all over with a fresh download making sure you get it from the official sources.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

i downloaded the iso image from remote-exploit.org, and checked the md5sum, which is the same as posted on the official website.

today, i installed the latest fedora 12 in vmware, the same problem occurred, i was totally depressed

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Well maybe I should have asked this at the beginning but did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso ?
    You might even want to start all over with a fresh download making sure you get it from the official sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast