Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to share an internet connection in Linux

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

It might help to visualise this.

Code:
                                                                            ----------------------                   --------------------
                                   ------------------                       | Your Laptop acting |                   | Far away access  |
                 \   10.1.1.0/24   |  Fonera Router |     10.2.2.0/24       |    as a Router     |  192.168.0.0/24   | point that needs |
     Wifi         \  wireless      |                |      wired            |                    |     wireless      | a signal boost   |
     for     ----------------------|LAN          WAN|-----------------------|eth0           wlan0|-------------------|                  |-------- INTERNET
    your          /                |                |                       |                    |                   |                  |
    friends      /                 ------------------                       ----------------------                   --------------------
    I'm 100% certain that you can get this to work. There's different ways of going about it. First of all, because you have dodgy firmware on the Fonera, you might be able to get the WAN port to act like just another LAN port.

Also, you have the option of enabling or disabling Network Address Translation at any of the routers.

By the way, you don't need to use the Fonera if you have a spare wifi USB device hanging around. You could plug in a second wifi device so that it's wlan1, and then you can just bridge that connection with wlan0. Your friends would connect to wlan1 as if it's an access point and then they've have internet access. But of course there's nothing wrong with making use of the Fonera.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

well what makes this fonera unique is it now installed with openwrt and webif. Also karma.

Jasager is what is running on it. I have a few things to try. Ultimately I want to see if I can get this Fon running Karma to pass traffic through my laptop to the world and if i could run tools like sslstrip, etc. Instead of having to mode the fonera with an SD card to give it more storage.

Hopefully I can get this working for my forensic's presentation for Network Forensic tools.

Mr-Protocol,
    Hey i created that tutorial. with that setup you can run SSLstrip. I am using backtrack pre-final. I first updated backtracks dhcp3.

The way i have my fon setup is:

I statically assigned the webif interface to 192.168.0.250 so it would not interfere with dhcp3 running as the gateway and dhcp server. Depending on what range you want this it could be anything 10.10.10.200.

to check you logs:

cat /var/log/syslog

that is show any errors with DHCPD3

I can get DHCP to work now, It's just a matter of getting the wifi to assign IP's

Once you change
    /etc/dhcpd3/dhcpd.conf with the correct range that you are trying to use, i would recommend modding the one i have posted on the site. I would statically assign the Web if for the fon to the highest available Ip for that range.

Also check /etc/default/dhcp3-server and make sure it has the interface that is plugged into the fon. Let me know what the range is you want to use on the Fon that is going to be leased to the clients connected, and i will modify my setup to work how you want yours setup and take screenshots for you.

Default How to do ICS with Backtrack using 2 Wifi-Cards

Hi !

I´m glad I found this thread, because I´m planning to do something slightly different:

I want to connect to a Wireless Router using my Alfa and then
    create my own AP with a second WIFI-Card I haven´t bought yet (simple one, just doing the trick. Suggestions ?)

I thought a router could do it, but I have not found any router
    that repeats the signal from Antenna 1 (YAGI) to Antenna 2 (OMNI).
    Many of them got 2 antennas, but the use them both for both tasks.

I apreciate any help !

Peace !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12