Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network Problem Opinions Needed....

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Again I am not the network admin. she has been bouncing things off of me. I figured I would throw the issue out to you guys since this place has a wealth of knowledgeable people.

I was absolutely right you guys have taken it in a whole new direction.

we have a copy of the original configs and yes it is all one subnet... the network is only about 100 nodes.

yes they started from scratch

I am going to get some more details monday when she gets back... I will make a list for her from what you guys have suggested....

I will probably point her in the direction of this forum since you guys seem to have a much better grasp on the situation than the consultants....

Thanks again....

I will get with her and then let you know what we find.
    Just let us know where we can send our invoices for payment.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Also it might be that 2 & 4 are flat dead. They've probably been running for a very, very long time. It "suddenly" happened because they are old.
    This is the sixth time we have created a thread about it... and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by g3ksan View Post
    Also it might be that they are flat dead. They've probably been running for a very, very long time. It "suddenly" happened because they are old.
    Probably not ALL of them, but possibly one failed. I think it's more of a misconfiguration of the switches than an actual hardware failure.

He did say they're in a warehouse, so they could have succumbed the environment. Most warehouses I've been in have a lot of soot if they use propane powered forklifts, and a lot of dust in general.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Probably not ALL of them, but possibly one failed. I think it's more of a misconfiguration of the switches than an actual hardware failure.

He did say they're in a warehouse, so they could have succumbed the environment. Most warehouses I've been in have a lot of soot if they use propane powered forklifts, and a lot of dust in general.
    Yeah, I had a newer switch die in a warehouse enviornment, their public works department never built a closet for the equipment and they wonder why there is failure ;/

I meant switch 2 and 4 possibly died, I'll edit my post.
    This is the sixth time we have created a thread about it... and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

I am fairly certain these are in environmental cabinets inside the offices.... but I could be wrong... I have never been to the site personally.

Also it might be that they are flat dead. They've probably been running for a very, very long time. It "suddenly" happened because they are old.
    I would think that the problem would not have gone away for 2 weeks if that was the case.... I could be wrong though .... would not be the first time ...

btw you can send your invoices to

Bastardized Systems
    attn: Local BOFH
    666 dev null st
    Long Island, NY 11756

They do die, but you also have to give them some credit. They are built pretty well... This is a SUP32 card that's had water damage...twice, and still kicking 2 years later.

This probably belongs in the sprinkler thread..

@OP Good luck with your problem, I sent you a PM when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    I would think that the problem would not have gone away for 2 weeks if that was the case.... I could be wrong though .... would not be the first time ...
    Depends on how they handle packets We had a switch where it would work fine once we restarted it and for about a week and then tank, turns out it wasn't handling collisions properly and crapped itself. Restarting it started the process all over again.

This one is on me

edit: also, good luck

thanks, I will be sure to update you guys on what we find.

thanks
    Thomas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12