Hello, I've played with linux on and off for the last few years but have always had issues getting my wireless network cards to work. I decided to come back to linux a few years later in the hopes that this process would be easier. Alas, it seems to be the same issue. I have a laptop with a build in wireless card (Atheros comm AR5001 wireless network adapter - AS ID'd by Backtrack). However, when I try to use it..or access my network use the wireless adapter I have noticed the 'power' button on the laptop is still red (indicating NO power to the wireless card). When I boot back to windows I must push the power button to turn the wireless card back on. This does NOT work thru backtrac (or linux for that matter). I figure there is a script or command that I must type to turn the power on. That being said, I've used the following commands thru the consol:

root@bt:~# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

AND SINCE i've seen the request for this before I'm including a lspci -v command:
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 137a
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
Memory at c2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
Kernel driver in use: ath5k
Kernel modules: ath_pci, ath5k

I've also tried:
root@bt:~# /usr/bin/start network
bash: /usr/bin/start: No such file or directory

I've tried this:
root@bt:~# /etc/init.d/wicd start
Starting Network connection manager: wicd.

But from here I do not know where to go? No window comes up? And still thru this the whole thing the 'power' button on my laptop does NOT change from red to blue (indicating power to the wireless card). The laptop still looks and acts as if the wireless card does NOT have power. All I want to do is turn the power on to the wireless card. I feel that if I can figure that out I can then get the rest of the network issues resolved. I'm currently connected to this site using the wired connection to my laptop...but I got this distro for the wireless tools associated.

Any help that ANYONE may have I would very much appreciate. Thanks!
Steve