Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone teach me basic networking for linux

Just burned his ISO

Default Someone teach me basic networking for linux

So i searched around and i succesfully got internet in Backtrack4.

I got 4 computers connected to the pc

But i got a problem, i don't know but when i use nmap -sP your_subnet/24

i get 0 hosts online. Why is that ?

And i found out when i enter myip.com i get at windows browser:
    ***.**.63.130
    at backtrack (browser)
    ***.**.63.130
    but in IFCONFIG (Backtrack)
    and in IPCONFIG (windows xp)

So i mean it's not the same in backtrack and windows xp? Why not? Help!!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

First stop
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...e-posting.html
    Make sure your thread titles and posting locations are compliant with the rules please.
    Second stop
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...ad-thread.html
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry for the rules things, ive readed it now.

I can't find anything related to my problem with that link you provide?

I beg you, experienced members. I just wanna fix this, and i will use google and search in here if i anytime will have answer on something. I just cant find anything related to my problem ?! and how to solve...

Is it me or does this feel somewhat like deja vu . I suggest you go to wikipedia.org and look up: "DHCP","Static and dynamic IP addresses". Also for good measure "Network address translation". That should help answer your question.

Just burned his ISO

ok i learned something..

So answer to this is to do my IP static?

I have read the following things in wikipedia and learned the difference about dyn/static ip adress, what dhcp is and such..

Is the answer to my problem that i should make it to a static ip ?

-
    I have done that now, by this tutorial:
    portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

But i don't know if you' understanded my problem.

My internet works in xp and backtrack, but in backtrack shell typing ifconfig, i get a ip, BUT it's not the same as windows xp cmd ipconfig's ip? And i want it to be the same..

..I tried
    ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.2.20

then i got no connection.

I'm not saying a static IP is the solution. I just gave a few pointers so you might figure out why the IP addresses were different yourself. Are these computers on your home network ?. How are they connected: router, switch etc ?. Are they getting IP's using DHCP ?. Why do you need BackTrack to use the same IP as XP ?

Just burned his ISO

The computers are connected to my home network, Yes. And i'm using a wireless internet. It's a router here at home. Yes they get ip's using dhcpc.

I want that because i started apache and edited a file in var/www/ and it only shows in BT4 when you browse to 127.0.0.1, but not here when i try to go to 127.0.0.1 i get error site.

And second i want to view http packets, of the whole networking, but everytime i start like wireshark, it only updates after what I only are browsing, and when i browse something on my other PC it doesnt show the packets..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azzyh View Post
    The computers are connected to my home network, Yes. And i'm using a wireless internet. It's a router here at home. Yes they get ip's using dhcpc.

I want that because i started apache and edited a file in var/www/ and it only shows in BT4 when you browse to 127.0.0.1, but not here when i try to go to 127.0.0.1 i get error site.

And second i want to view http packets, of the whole networking, but everytime i start like wireshark, it only updates after what I only are browsing, and when i browse something on my other PC it doesnt show the packets..

Thanks
    You should do some basic reading on TCP/IP. TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1 is highly recommended. Learn what the loopback address is and how packets flow over the wire to differnet network interfaces.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzyh View Post

Thanks
    When you assign the same IP address to two computers on a subnet it creates problems. Like you said, you got disconnected.

You should know that 127.*.*.* is the equivalent of localhost or "my computer / this computer". It's the loopback interface. So if you want to view your web page that you made on your BT4 computer using your windows computer, you would need to type in your BT4 computer's IPv4 address into your window's browser.

If you want to edit your web page on your BT4 computer using your windows computer. Run an SSH server on BT4 and connect to it using an SSH client on your windows machine.

In my experience, which is little, WireShark sniffs/collects packets between computers, it does not extend it's sniffing into the router/switch's card (on it's own ^^). You can't sniff your other computer's traffic because the network architecture of your LAN is not set up to do this.

If you want to learn how to use Wireshark, then read Practical Packet Analysis by Chris Sanders, May 2007, Nostarch Press.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast