Thread: Can the Atheros 9285 card support injection?

Just burned his ISO

Default Can the Atheros 9285 card support injection?

I have a Toshiba NB205 netbook with an Atheros 9285 card. Ive got Windows XP Home and BT4 dual booted sucessfully.

When running the aireplay-ng injection test it will say successful when monitoring is turned on (turns interface into mon0), but then aireplay-ng will unexpectedly die when attempting to inject into my router (Dual Band Linksys).

I decided to blacklist the ath9k and ath5k and enable madwifi drivers, now the card is not shown under iwconfig or ifconfig.

Should I get a different card, does madwifi even recognize the ath928x cards, or should I try and revert back to ath9k?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

madwifi does have some form of support over 802.11n atheros wireless chipsets though I'd only use it if ath5k/ath9k doesn't work. If you don't see an interface when you have blacklisted ath9k, check dmesg for information. It may require latter version of madwifi and/or HAL.

Also have you tried upgrading the kernel with the one provided in repository? BT4 pre-final ships with 2.6.29.4 but in the repository there is 2.6.30.5. If not give that a go and see if its better. ath9k depends on mac80211 stack and which is basically integral part of the linux kernel. Unless you update the kernel, or use compat-wireless you will be stuck with whichever version that is provided.

Just burned his ISO

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I had to use compat-wireless to get the card to even be recognized again with the ath9k driver.

I had thrown the latest madwifi on and instantly the card itself wasnt recognized by BT4.

That is something I will try however, updating the kernel, I know I am still using 2.6.29.4 version. Thanks for the suggestion.

No worries.

With the use of compat-wireless, you will need to apply injection patches again so that it will have more injection capability.

The latest madwifi will only be available from their SVN. Including new HAL which is required by madwifi.