Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacking into my router settings?

Just burned his ISO

Default Hacking into my router settings?

Hi, i was recently browsing the net as i lost my router settings password after browsing all day i had no luck on finding a way to get it back. So i reset my router and spent all night changing the settings again.

Then i remembered about backtrack and the forums, i have not been here in well over a year and i wondered, is it possible to hack the router settings login of my router? i would like to try this so i can learn how its done and maybe change some settings to prevent it, and for curiosity.

If its possible with backtrack if possible could you point me in the right direction, i havnt used backtrack in a while and i wasnt exactly very good at it when i was here before so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if backtrack cant do this, if someone knows of another possible way (any other software etc.) please could you let me know.

Oh also i know of bruteforce but it wont work as after 10 attempts my router blocks everything out from it for a certain amount of time.

Thanks.

it is possible, but honestly, why would you want to. just reset the router using the reset button on the back.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

Hi, thanks for your reply, I know i can just reset the router, but as i said i am wanting to do this for curiosity and educational purposes. Isnt that why most people use backtrack?
    Thanks again.

Whether or not you can hack into your router is highly dependent on the router. If you are just trying to get through the username/password authorization then you would be brute forcing. However, again, it depends on the router, sometimes there are exploits.

Just burned his ISO

Hi mike, thanks for your reply, i am currently searching around for the sollution myself, i have found some scrapes of information regarding airsnarf, im reading some bits of it as i cant find a detailed tutorial or something to explain it in my level of expertise but i think it is something to do with getting the login to the router settings. Am i correct?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sean9461 View Post
    Hi mike, thanks for your reply, i am currently searching around for the sollution myself, i have found some scrapes of information regarding airsnarf, im reading some bits of it as i cant find a detailed tutorial or something to explain it in my level of expertise but i think it is something to do with getting the login to the router settings. Am i correct?

Thanks.
    No. Not even close.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

You should also post more info on your router..

If you say that after 10 failed login attempts it shuts for a while, then you are basically SOL if no exploits for the router.

If you can do bruteforcing, there is a windows program called Brutus, another one called Bruter.

In back|track you would have to look at either Medusa or Hydra.

What type of router is it? Brand/model?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

To reset your router, just find the small hole under it. Use a ballpen or anything that would fit in that small hole.

__________________________________________________ _______

I agree with SuspectZero.

Assuming you have physical access to the device there's no point in trying to prove anything to yourself.

FACT: If the administration interface is exposed (web, telnet, ssh, whatever) it is likely vulnerable to some sort of brute force password attack.

However, assuming you have half a clue then the following things apply:

1) External administration is disabled (i.e.: no one outside your LAN should see any administration interface).
    2) You keep an eye out for Firmware updates (i.e.: if you're running dd-wrt you've upgraded in the last few months following the XSS/XSRF issue).
    3) You use a strong non-default/non-dictionary word for your administration password.

In which case someone would have to be sitting on your LAN in order to try to brute force your router's admin interface. If someone you don't know is sitting on your LAN you have more important issues to worry about than them accessing your router's administration interface.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast