Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild customized backtrack from scratch?

Just burned his ISO

Default Rebuild customized backtrack from scratch?

Hi,

The site frequently mentions customizations that are made while building BT (e.g. warning about using standard ubuntu repositories or another posting in this section about building a new kernel) What I would like to do is to build a custom BT (that is: a version that keeps the BT optimizations but with additional stuff)

My primary motivations for doing so are to include drivers for rather exotic network hardware and to keep the tools up to date (not really wanting to wait for the next official BT release ;-) )

I do have experience with building custom knoppix and morphix bootable CD's, so I'm OK with an answer like "use the knoppix procedure", except for the detail of the customizations that are made by the BT team (can't find the sources or patches and I did read the FAQ, other postings and even searched the site ;-) )

Regards.

Default Re: Rebuild customized backtrack from scratch?

Your post doesn't make sense. You can take the BT iso, add / remove whatever you want from it and close the iso.
    In addition, you wont have to wait for the next release of BackTrack to get tool updates...this is what the repos are for.

Just burned his ISO

I was hoping to get an answer to these questions:

1. where and how can I obtain the sources for all GPL code that was used to produce the BT ISO?
    2. where and how can I obtain the build scripts to produce the BT ISO from those sources?

Clear enough this time?

Your questions are perfectly clear but the method behind them still doesn't make sense.

You want to rebuild the whole of BackTrack from source, and you want to know where the source for ALL of the GPL packages included in BackTrack can be downloaded? I'm going to assume you don't really understand what you are asking for here, because if you did I doubt you would have asked it.

If you want to customise BT, a better approach is to do as muts suggested - open the BT ISO, add the tools you want, close the BT ISO. If the repository doesn't have a particular new version of some software that you want, you might want to download that tools source code from the tools website and compile it, but don't try and do it with every single package.

There's a guide to customising BT here.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the tip on customization, Lupin, but, for argument's sake, lets assume that I do have a pretty good idea of what I asked, and leave all of my reasons for asking out of the discussion: so far I got two answers and both accuse me of making no sense, so I won't even try to clarify my motivation anymore.

Lupin, if my questions are clear to you, perhaps you could provide me the answers? Thanks.

No I cant easily provide you with links to the source of every single GPL package thats included in BackTrack. There are too many. And thats precisely the point.

A bare basic just-boots-and-does-basically-nothing-else-useful Linux system is made up of around 60 different GPL packages. For a system like BackTrack its well over a thousand. And a number of those packages will depend on, and only work with, particular versions of the other packages. When Linux distributions (like BackTrack) are created, an enormous amount of effort goes into getting this combination of packages right so that a working system results. Its a lot of work, and if you actually try to compile it all from source, it takes a lot of time. This is why many distributions take shortcuts by using packages from other Linux systems (e.g. BackTrack with Ubuntu).

Building backTrack again, entirely from source, would probably take you several months to a year (if you were working hard that is), would take fairly advanced Linux knowledge, and would probably be a frustrating pain-in-the-ass procedure.

Considering that the version of BackTrack 4 you can download from this website wasn't actually built entirely from source (a large proportion of the system is comprised of Ubuntu binary packages), I don't understand why you would want to do it, unless you're in the mood for an extremely lengthy learning experience.

If you really want to try it though, the following command will show you a list of packages used on BackTrack.

dpkg --list
    When you get the list, search Google for each of the package names and you should be able to find the website and a download location for the source. Best of luck.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Lupin,

You are probably right when you mention that you cannot provide links to source code of every piece of GPL software that was used to produce the BT ISO. Therefore, risking again to not making sense, I will refine the question to: where and how can I obtain the modified sources for all GPL software that was changed by the BT team for producing the BT ISO? This question applies specifically to the kernel and kernel modules.

As for my motivation, I want to draw your attention to item "3" in the license that covers the Linux kernel:

GNU General Public License v2.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Regards.

Developer

Seems I will have to step in here. So what you are asking is for all the modifications and patches made to the kernel? We have never made this available in the past however muts would be the one to contact on that issue via private message and he will be able to give you a final answer to your question.

Just burned his ISO

Pureh@te,

Yes that is part of what I was asking: I would also like to have the modifications that the BT team made to the GPL userland tools as well.

Despite his initial reaction to my first posting, I will send a mail to Muts hoping my mail will make more sense than my initial post.

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, sending a private message apparently does not work. It's been almost two weeks now since I sent muts a private message and so far there has been zero response.

That's why I'll try one more time in this forum to obtain the modified sources of GPL software that went into the BT ISO: where and how can I get those modified sources?

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast