Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone teach me basic networking for linux

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by rebrov View Post
    1st of all i did like every body said in google about how to set ur ip and gateway and the rest of networking basics things and nothing happened and

every reboot the mac changes when i type : ifconfig eth0

i see the mac changes and no ip and no gateway like i typed

thats maybe something bug with backtrack 4 pre thats why i came here to ask cuz this place is what its come from and i want to learn info sec so i installed backtrack i dont have much time to install simple linux distro and learn networking and then after long time install backtrack to learn infosec again

i want to do 2 x 1 i hope u guys understood me and instead of saying so trying to give a help not every one saying so make me feel like im under zero and u guys pro in ethical hackers and pentersters
    If you don't even understand the very basics of networking how the fsck do you think you're going to understand the more advanced concepts of the Infosec world?

These things need to be learned in steps, there's no real jumping ahead.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

1st of all i did like every body said in google about how to set ur ip and gateway and the rest of networking basics things and nothing happened and every reboot the mac changes when i type : ifconfig eth0 i see the mac changes and no ip and no gateway like i typed
    thats maybe something bug with backtrack 4 pre thats why i came here to ask cuz this place is what its come from and i want to learn info sec so i installed backtrack i dont have much time to install simple linux distro and learn networking and then after long time install backtrack to learn infosec again
    i want to do 2 x 1 i hope u guys understood me and instead of saying so trying to give a help not every one saying so make me feel like im under zero and u guys pro in ethical hackers and pentersters
    Look I think you are misunderstanding things here so before this gets out of hand I am going to make it plain and simple for you to hopefully understand.
    1. You don't know what you are doing.
    2. What you are trying to do is considered a basic linux skill.
    3. We don't do those basics here since they are available for free all over the internet.
    4. You don't need to use mac changer unless you are doing something illegal and are scared to get caught in which case see 1 above.
    5. The fact that you can't use a piece of software or application the way it is intended to be used is not a bug.
    6. No one is saying you can't use BT but we are saying we are not going to teach you the basics especially if you are not willing to put in at least 100% effort to learn, study, read, research on your own.
    7. No we are not all professional penetration testers. I for one am not and I don't even believe I would want to be one. But all of us who participate on this forum do believe in the ethic of hard work, self discipline and dedication to anything that we want to learn and or accomplish.

So to conclude, study, read, research and learn then if all of that fails start again.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

1st of all i did like every body said in google about how to set ur ip and gateway and the rest of networking basics things and nothing happened and

every reboot the mac changes when i type : ifconfig eth0

i see the mac changes and no ip and no gateway like i typed
    That's because you don't know what you're doing.

thats maybe something bug with backtrack 4 pre thats why i came here to ask cuz this place is what its come from
    Nope, there's no bug in the networking of BT4-PF. I've used it on multiple networks, and it works every time. Of course, I do know what I'm doing.

and i want to learn info sec so i installed backtrack i dont have much time to install simple linux distro and learn networking and then after long time install backtrack to learn infosec again
    You can't learn infosec before learning networking. So much of infosec is based on networking that you simply must learn networking first. Trying to learn infosec before networking is like trying to learn how to drive a Formula One race car when you can't even ride a bicycle.

i want to do 2 x 1
    Assuming that the above means you want to do two things at once, understand this: You can't. Not with inforsec and networking. Period. See the above; rinse, repeat until enlightenment is achieved. If you mean something else, please articulate it.

i hope u guys understood me and instead of saying so trying to give a help not every one saying so make me feel like im under zero and u guys pro in ethical hackers and pentersters
    Frankly, it's hard to understand you. Your sentences are barely comprehensible, you use moronic SMS-speak, and you don't properly capitalize or punctuate. One of the things that makes a good hacker is the ability to learn on your own, and if you have to ask others, then you should frame your questions properly and use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

By the way, before you start in with some variation of the 'grammar Nazi' line, you should understand that proper writing is a critical skill for a pen tester. People pay me (and a lot of other people here) a lot of money for penetration testing and other vulnerability assessments, and a big part of what I deliver to my clients is a professional report.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 1.1.2.2 eth0
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.0.167
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.0.1
    You seem to be setting your IP address and gateway at random. It doesn't work that way, you need to set them to the correct values for your network. Reiterating what everyone else here has already told you, learn basic TCP/IP and Linux before trying BackTrack - you will not get any use out of BT without this basic knowledge.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

guys chill out all of u this is not my frirst time to work on linux and to configure network

i installed be4 knoppix 5.0 be4 and with the network configuring it worked well

and who told u guys i didnt' search in google be4 i come here ??

i searched in google about networking and how to configure it and i did all i saw about how to set ur ip ur default gw every thing and i applicate them on backtrack but every time mac change and doesn't have connection

and about the mac spoofind like the Mod said i have to change the mac like my windows xp mac to have connection cuz my network Administrator have winbox server and i think u all know it and it work with mac if i change my mac i will not get connection so i have to make my linux mac like my windows mac i hope i made my self straight enough and if i can't configure network in backtrack i wont do this in others cuz same commands i write to configure it i will do them again in simple linux disto and same thing it wont wrok cuz i dont know where is the problem come from

thanks for the comments of u all i hoped really that some 1 will show up with solution so this problem will not face me again in any other disto i install

guys chill out all of u this is not my frirst time to work on linux and to configure network

i installed be4 knoppix 5.0 be4 and with the network configuring it worked well

and who told u guys i didnt' search in google be4 i come here ??

i searched in google about networking and how to configure it and i did all i saw about how to set ur ip ur default gw every thing and i applicate them on backtrack but every time mac change and doesn't have connection

and about the mac spoofind like the Mod said i have to change the mac like my windows xp mac to have connection cuz my network Administrator have winbox server and i think u all know it and it work with mac if i change my mac i will not get connection so i have to make my linux mac like my windows mac i hope i made my self straight enough and if i can't configure network in backtrack i wont do this in others cuz same commands i write to configure it i will do them again in simple linux disto and same thing it wont wrok cuz i dont know where is the problem come from

thanks for the comments of u all i hoped really that some 1 will show up with solution so this problem will not face me again in any other disto i install
    If you've used other Linux distros and had things working. Why not just stick to one of those and install "pen-testing" tools on it. There's no rule saying one must use BackTrack. You can even use Windows if it's more comfortable.

Why do you have to change the MAC address like your XP system ?. If the admin has set-up filtering, there's likely a good reason for it. You're better off asking them for help. There should be no need to alter the MAC address, just ask the admin for assistance.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If commands you type don't work in BackTrack and you don't know where the problem lies. That just confirms your lack of basic networking skills. By simply copy & pasting commands without understanding what they do. You're not going to get very far with using BackTrack. If you have an understanding of networking, trouble-shooting this problem would become a lot easier for you.

As others have pointed out already: you should have a basic understanding of networking to use BT, without it you'll be in over your head. Especially in the InfoSec world where you're not just handed answers without showing willingness or putting in effort to teach yourself.

You really need to get a step back: Learn networking ideally on a Linux system you can get working. Then move up to BackTrack after that. Given your past comments, it seems you're not willing or wanting to do that. The bottom line is that's how everyone started off. There's no getting around it. If you have no desire to sit and learn TCP/IP / Networking. Then InfoSec field likely isn't right for you.

Most people here could hand you a solution easily. But by doing so, you won't have learned anything. More importantly you won't understand why the solution/or commands work to fix the problem. IMO you've missed the point the majority have been trying to get across. Once you learn basic networking yourself. You'll be armed with figuring out the solution, instead of relying on others for the answer.

ya right Mods plz close the thread im done talking here and im done confince others what im trying to say cuz u guys not here and dun know what im trying to say or what im doing about copying and pasting without understand yes im just idiot guy copying and pasting

anyway close thread Mods its alright here for now

ya right Mods plz close the thread im done talking here and im done confince others what im trying to say cuz u guys not here and dun know what im trying to say or what im doing about copying and pasting without understand yes im just idiot guy copying and pasting
    I have no clue what you are saying.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

anyway close thread Mods its alright here for now
    nobudy noes wut ur saying cuz u dunt use proper grammar.

You have to understand that nobody here really knows you or your intelligence level. So the only way for us to get a good understanding of you or your intelligence level is to go by what kind of posts your posting. Please use proper grammar and punctuation, it's much easier to read and understand. These posts are not time critical so take your time and do it right the first time.

It's also rather obvious that you have no idea how TCP/IP works. If you aren't willing to take the time to learn the basics of that then how do you expect to learn advanced techniques. One step at a time here.

Good Luck!

Default Solved

i solved the problem be removing the dhc client

with this :

apt-get remove dhcp-client

and then

/etc/init.d/networking restart

and it worked and i can connect to internet now the problem is every time i do reboot i have to do networking restart

explain :

when i reboot i found the old dhcp mac and default settings again and when i try to remove dhcp again it said already not found so it already deleted

and i try to do networking restart it work

dunno why should i every restart do networking restart to tell the system that the dhcp is deleted :S:S:S weird

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast