Thread: iPhone port

Default iPhone port

Anyone working on a port for the iPhone?

Backtrack on the iPhone doesn't even make sense. We have metasploit, while outdated, it's there. We also have nmap and a bunch of assorted tools available.

What would be AMAZING for the iPhone would be an Ethernet adapter. The 3GS toted all about how you can use third party additions. If I knew enough about hardware hacking I would attempt it. Imagine what a pentest would be like with an iPhone?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by g3ksan View Post
    Imagine what a pentest would be like with an iPhone?
    Slow and horribly painful to conduct?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by g3ksan View Post
    Imagine what a pentest would be like with an iPhone?
    While I can understand the nerd gadget "Oooooo!!!!" factor, I can't see a lot of iPhone hipsters being able to spell 'penetration test', never mind leaving those expensive toys plugged into an Ethernet port overnight for a comprehensive scan. For me though, it's much easier to have BT4 on an Asus Eee. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than an iPhone, too.

If you want a device with that form factor though, there are a lot of old PDAs kicking around that can be bought very inexpensively and that already have Ethernet as an add-on.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Having actually used (or tried to use) these types of apps on very small form factor devices, I'll have to agree with Streaker. Slow and painful. Though kismet worked pretty well, metasploit was just too damn slow. Nmap was iffy, depended on the network. This was from a sharp zaurus, and a Nokia N800 internet tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    If you want a device with that form factor though, there are a lot of old PDAs kicking around that can be bought very inexpensively and that already have Ethernet as an add-on.
    I'd go with a smaller tablet pc than a pda. At least that way you have x86 compatibility and some horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    While I can understand the nerd gadget "Oooooo!!!!" factor, I can't see a lot of iPhone hipsters being able to spell 'penetration test', never mind leaving those expensive toys plugged into an Ethernet port overnight for a comprehensive scan. For me though, it's much easier to have BT4 on an Asus Eee. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than an iPhone, too.
    I don't remember the name of the guy from DC16, but he shipped a jailbroken iPhone to a company with ssh. They did a sniff of the network with it and was able to remotely access the phone. I thought that idea was pretty slick, I have no problems with my phone running slow, I get good wifi performance, etc. It's an unexpected line of attack. A PDA raises questions, an smartphone is more common place these days.

The eeepc is an amazing piece of hardware, it's like it was made for BT. I use it for testing an training at home.

Edit: I hate to be that mac guy, but the rumored Apple Tablet would be a neat platform imo. There are some even smaller tablet PCs that look like an old Sega Game Gear. I don't really care for the Apple platform, I just like the idea of some of their products.