Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to test Alfa AWUS036H is 500mW or 1W?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default how to test Alfa AWUS036H is 500mW or 1W?

anyone know how to test this adapter whether is 500mW or 1000mW?
    coz i bought this adapter yesterday curious whether im being cheated or not..
    thx

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ken-ywk View Post
    anyone know how to test this adapter whether is 500mW or 1000mW?
    coz i bought this adapter yesterday curious whether im being cheated or not..
    thx
    Why not look at the documentation that came with it and or the manufacturers website? Failing that try google.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Get another wifi device of known power (e.g. get a lend of your friend's Alfa which you know to be 500 mW).

Next set up an access point. Now go very far away from the access point with you and your friend's laptop and the two Alfa's.

Try to access the network from both computers. If the difference in connection is negligible, it would indicate that both devices are of equal power. If your device performs a fair bit better, it's probably more powerful.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

afaik the original alfa AWUS036H was 500mw

Just burned his ISO

just figured out they have a new model and havent updated their manuals

scottsee

If you have access to a XP or Win 2003 box type in these two command in the cmd.exe console to check your Alfa wifi CcxPowerLevels mW power range..

Code:
    wmic /output:c:\nic.html nic where MacAddress="alfa mac address in quotes" get /format:hform

Start c:\nic.html
    The wmic script could be simplified by adding an additional "get CcxPowerLevels" command to show just the power levels but I couldn't get it to work for some reasion on my XP/Alfa laptop when posting so I stuck with the general NIC dump info..

Just burned his ISO

According to this site: (sorry i havent posted enough to post the link)

Here is what they say:

This is the latest version of Alfa sku AWUS036H: It was formerly designated as a 500mW device and now Alfa is claiming that the specification is 1000mW (1-watt): However, in our tests of this latest version against the previous (500mW) version, we find an improvement in signal strength of approximately 7% vs. the previous (500mW) version.

So it doesnt apepar to be true.

Just burned his ISO

if your alfa is 1w the pcb is blue!! is not necessary to open it, you try to controll through the hole of the led!! :P

Just burned his ISO

I was watching the antenna that the alfa have by default, use other antenna like the one that came with the Gsky, I order an alfa 1watt so I will do a home made test, reading the “Network Stumbler” program, if the numbers stay the same then I will have a backup usb antenna lol.

Default Re:

The Alfa 1000mW(1W) has a 1 in cased in a circle stamped on the front the 500mW does not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast